Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Good news for regional transit:

GoTriangle wins a $25 million federal grant to better connect the region through a transit hub at RTP | GoTriangle

10 Likes

To remind folks, it’s at the SW corner of NC 54 and the railroad tracks behind Miami Blvd – aka between Carolina Glazed Donuts/BP (at Miami/54) and Fidelity’s campus.

Particularly great for the new Davis Park housing development to the south.

6 Likes

The originally studied site was north of NC54. I havent been following this super closely- why did it shift?

1 Like

Any NH or Exchange development updates? :eyes:

1 Like

Because the 2023 grant for that location failed, and Park Point’s developers presumably dropped their potential collaboration with GoTriangle on that front. The location across the street, on the other hand, has always been reserved for future development the Research Triangle Foundation. Since their grant proposal went out of its way to mention how the RTF made a formal resolution in support of this new location, I think it was a matter of reducing risk for investment (even if that’s just a matter of appearances).

As a reminder for everyone, here’s where this is - in the context of other transit-oriented developments (TODs) in the heart of Research Triangle Park:

TL/DR: GoTriangle needs to do more additional engineering work before construction launches in early 2026. But per requirements from federal law, we have already figured out how to pay for the remaining portions of this $58.2M project. Statutory requirements for finishing this project is much more reasonable than what the Trump administration put on RUSbus; we aim to have this completed by 2028, which is much faster than how congressional funding requires it to be done by 2033.

The Biden Administration’s announcement is copied in this Mass Transit Magazine article. You’ll have to dig into the actual press release’s supplemental text for info on our transit hub, though, and you’ll probably find more useful context on GoTriangle’s website.

10 Likes

NH Update photos.

15 Likes

Saw some advertising in North Hills about “Makers Alley”. Went over to see what it was about. It looks pretty interesting although they aren’t really shops I would go to right now. This is in the Innovation District. I thought the outdoor seating area was nice.

31 Likes

That actually looks really nice! Wish we had more of that downtown.

6 Likes

Restoration Hardware and assorted buildings coming along nicely. Something call Village Tavern has signage up in the ground floor of one of these buildings. Gonna have to tell them the Village District is a few miles south…

19 Likes

If this is the same Village Tavern I’m thinking of, it’s going to be a solid addition. I often visit the one in Greensboro when I’m in town visiting my parents, and have always had great experiences there.

4 Likes

It’s the same Village Tavern operator from the Triad

3 Likes

Soon going to have Village Tavern, Village Drafthouse, and Village Deli (2x) within a few miles of each other.

1 Like

Some coworkers in Dallas went to the Restoration Hardware facility there and said it was really nice and the restaurant was impressive and good. Looking forward to it!

5 Likes

Kind of a long bike ride from Key West, but I think you guys are up for it!
The “True Food Kitchen” in this pic also seems to have good food and drinks online. Never hurts to have more places to eat and get white people wasted before a Creed show at the North Hills stage…

3 Likes

Is Nickleback the opener? Or Limp Bizkit?

2 Likes

I love those small little corridors seen in the first picture.

1 Like

I guess I hadn’t realized Standard Beer + Food was expanding to North Hills…

13 Likes

Yup, the green chile smashburger creeps north to NIHD…

1 Like

Looks like atlas stark has applied for a 20 story rezoning at the SECU property off six forks & 440.
www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/new-20-story-building-could-be-coming-to-raleighs-midtown-area-if-rezoning-is-approved/

17 Likes

Really surprised to see this comment from Larry Hellfant. He is big time NIMBY in the Midtown area.

Midtown’s Citizen Advisory Council President Larry Helfant said he’s excited about the potential growth. “It’s going to add to that community,” Helfant said. “It’s going to give things like coffee shops and small retail businesses because Computer Dr. is a perfect opportunity. It doesn’t sit right on Six Forks.”

10 Likes