Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

It is supposed to be 30.

Or, a 21 story building jacked onto a 9 story parking podium. (But, I guess 30 is still 30.)

3 Likes

Work on the Walter, appears to have started this afternoon.

23 Likes

Are they hiding that parking pedestal with a parking pedestal?

2 Likes

Exactly! I just finished adding all the possible car “reactions” to @JKK’s picture/post and saw your parking pedestal comment. :laughing:

1 Like

This is gonna be quite the duo…

15 Likes

I wonder if the base is going to be deep or not.

Very Buckheadish…

4 Likes

And to think that SH3 has to have a traffic study done for it, yet these keep getting thrown up.

8 Likes

Isn’t that crazy?
Kane can build this 35 story wonder outside the beltline with no problem.

But right in downtown, like in this shot, there’s strong opposition to his Cabarrus project rising over 6 stories. Makes no sense.
KaneRUS

9 Likes

There wasn’t strong opposition to over 6 stories. There was some opposition to how close and how high the buildings would be compared to existing houses. The stuff outside the Beltline doesn’t sit right next to 1 and 2 story houses.
If Kane had really wanted to get the rezoning he could have pursued it but they decided to go with existing zoning.

3 Likes

Actually the stuff outside the Beltline in North Hills actually some of does sit right next to single family homes. Close enough to throw a rock at it.

1 Like

Or cast shadows on those SFHs :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is exactly why N. Hills will never quite be “urban” to me - The entire street level experience is essentially looking up at parking decks, and this newest one is the biggest and longest one we’ve seen yet. Sure, there’s ground level retail blotting parts of the decks, but it doesn’t hide the fact that half of every building is jam packed with cars. It’s why N. Hills is and always will be just a glorified office park IMO.

6 Likes

By that definition of yours, then Raleigh may never be “urban” either. Parking decks and parking lots as far as the eye can see all jam packed with cars.

2 Likes

Not at close as the houses on Cabarrus will be. There’s a decent buffer between the apartments along St Albans and the houses behind them, which don’t front the apartments. So completely different.
Now the stuff along Lassiter Mills (North Hills East?) will front women SFHs but there still seems to be more of a buffer but I don’t know exactly what those plans are.

1 Like

The deck shown in the image I replied to is nearly 2 blocks long - downtown doesn’t have anything nearly as ridiculous as that, save for the current Bloc 83 (Origin Hotel) deck which will eventually be sandwiched by another large building, and then next worst offenders are the Citrix deck, and the in-progress Bloc 83 deck which will have a small footprint but will rise to 9-stories. Neither of these are as isolating, IMO, as this Walter/Advance Auto deck. It looks big enough to fit a race track inside.

1 Like

North Hills is surrounded by single family homes. On that one road there is a buffer. When Kane builds at the site of JC Penney some of that will be directly across the street from single family homes. Besides this is downtown Raleigh. You expect that here. Pretty much anything less than 6 stories is ridiculous at this point in time.

2 Likes

Agreed. North Hills is kind of terrible and most certainly not “urban.”

1 Like

North Hills would only be an urban experience if you lived, worked, and shopped there. All of that is possible, and without a car.

But, most of us don’t have the benefit of that troika/triad/triumvirate. So, it’s then a suburban experience absent a transit link.

2 Likes