Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Did Devereux meadows or Peace st flood during Gaston?

Agreed @orulz the maps would be cool to see.
Thanks @Alan for the names, I remembered Crabtree and the one by the airport, but forgot Lynn and Shelly.

They seem to have the flooding in Crabtree valley pretty well under control, save 500 yr rain falls. How about the flooding along 6 Forks & Wake Forest? That area use to flood regularly.

Six Forks and WF Road still a problem but better than in the past. I haven’t seen Peace Flood (beyond standing rain right after a gully washer) in quite a while.

1 Like

That is Crabtree creek as well. Just further downstream.

For anyone who thinks that that investing in malls will make them survive, here is an architect professor’s take on that:

I think Crabtree is working to move away from being just a mall and more like a downtown with lot’s of activities other than shopping, more like main street with a roof. Would not be surprised to see things like skate rink, Escape rooms and >lol< even pony rids as this one on 5th floor of a HUGE mall in Suzhou China.

Oh and almost forgot a multiplex movie theater and water fountains.

5 Likes

Per the most recent FEMA maps the 100year flood elevation near Wake Forest and Hodges has gone down by about 6’ over the previous version. That doesn’t mean it won’t flood. I have seen it flooding in that area after the maps were revised. It hasn’t been that long since Crabtree was evacuated due to flooding.

I’m more concerned that many projections are showing our annual rainfall increasing by 14% with an increasing intensity of rain events. Maybe the quarries can indeed be used as stormwater reservoirs. When you look at the maps, parts of the Crabtree building are in the Floodway, and the rest is in the Floodplain. Typically no development at all is allowed in the Floodway. I just hope they don’t build to the existing maps with this expansion, or they address it with a solution that provides adequate storage for future runoff levels.

2 Likes

Hard to really tell but if zoom in looks like the old sears footprint and new tower have at least 2 levels of parking under them. Guess that’s 2 fold, create more parking and get indoor spaces above any flooding. Does not do much for current building but did say “focus on improving stormwater management” in renovations. Sounds like a lot is going to be done with $290m, guessing tower is only a small fraction of that cost.

3 Likes

$290 million is a lot for even a 30-story tower. A similar-sized building in Charlotte, the 29-story FNB Tower, is only running about $129 million. The developers at Crabtree must be including some other major work in their estimates.

2 Likes

There’s a huge multi-story parking lot below the building if you carefully look at the concept art. I’m guessing that will add to the cost and drainage/floor management work.

2 Likes

On a slightly related note, why are flood maps so inaccurate? It sounds like lots of people try to just say “oh, we’ll manage stormwater drainage and make sure things don’t flood”, but that thought never seems to get baked into a lot of commercial development projects’ designs.

(Sometimes, it makes you wonder if that sort of poor planning is why flooding is becoming more of a problem around here, and climate change is only going to make things worse)

2 Likes

I guess the FNB price included the land in downtown charlotte, where Crabtree already owns their site, so think the tower cost would be less than $129m.

The entire mall needs a rehab. The design aesthetic of the mall is dated and is looking tired compared to what’s expected today. From the renders, it appears as if they are going for something more streamlined and modern. I hope that they carry that through the interior.

7 Likes

Triangle Town Center now heading for foreclosure: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article232187432.html

Looks like Crabtree is making the right move to renovate and add density.

8 Likes

It’s not blocking some wealthy retired resident’s view so they’ll allow it. Tall buildings are fine outside downtown.

5 Likes

Another way to use malls other than shopping.

Malls are catering to a new type of customer: gamers

Arcades are back! Long live the 80s!

11 Likes

or even 70’s Group of us from work in 70’s would go over to, I think an Abby’s on Western Blvd that had a group of pin-ball machines and spend couple of hours for lunch eating and playing them (worked for software development company that was ahead of it’s time as work time was very flexible as long as meet goals. Head of team got mad at us for talking afternoon off to go see Star Wars, mad that we could not find her to go with us - lol )

That is pretty stunning news. I remember when that mall was built. Doesn’t seem all that long ago.

1 Like

Good point. TTC was built in 2002. In less than 2 decades it’s already in trouble?

It’s in a fast growing corridor. There’s ever increasing traffic counts on Capital Blvd and on I-540. It anchors a growing region extending to Wake Forest. How do you mess that up?

3 Likes

Convince a bank to loan to much money on an overly optimistic growth projection.

5 Likes