Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Oh, the shadows! The shadows of the tallest building of Midtown exchange which is what, 10 stories? It’s the end of the world!

Ugh…NextDoor… That has got to be the most toxic platform out there. All I ever hear about it is the spread of fear and people bitching.

3 Likes

Yep. I dropped that about a year ago. Good move.

3 Likes

Wow! It’s even live, not in 15 minute increments!

Good find. I’m RTP adjacent for work, and I’d love some more life in the area (like the Boxyard RTP project as well).

Me too!! (extra characters)

I do too. There’s currently someone on ND trying to drum up opposition to building height rezoning on six forks and also Lassiter Mill.

I live in North Hills. I bought a house because I cannot stand sharing walls with people and hearing everything they do. Sometimes opposition is not about shadows but about keeping some character of the general area you live in - I like a lot of what has happened in this area but do not like things like the clear cutting of massive amounts of trees to build a bunch of hideous apartment complexes all the way down St. Albans. I don’t live on that side of Six Forks and it doesn’t impact me and I’m not objecting on ND, but I can understand why others object. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially people who have invested in homes in the area.

1 Like

It’s like a local twitter…

1 Like

I struggle with the noise factor as well. I live in very well constructed concrete building and hear nothing from my neighbors. It’s really amazing. BUT, when one decides to remodel a bathroom, etc, I feel like my fillings are coming out of my teeth. I’m in the process of looking for a new place and wish that Raleigh would build better multi family units. Maybe they are out there and I’ll find one. But I’ve yet to be in a structure that was wood from floor to floor and you not be able to hear above.

1 Like

As someone who has lived in urban condos exclusively for the last 24 years, and in a suburban one for the 8 years prior, I can say that there is no perfect sound isolation among units. You will always hear something at least from time to time. In my experiences, I’ve heard talking outside my door, late night crowds and loud motorcycles at bar closing times, the trash chute up against my bedroom wall, etc. Clearly the noise is worse in wood frame construction (my first condo), where I heard footsteps overhead, plumbing, TVs/music, etc. Luckily, I’ve never heard people getting busy.
My point is that when we choose to live in these sorts of arrangements, and invest our money into them, we are accepting a certain level of noise associated with community living in exchange for convenience and context (location). IMO, the same can be said for those who buy single family homes that allow them to walk to all of the convenience afforded in places like North Hills, downtown, or other walkable, amenity dense locations. I think it’s unreasonable to expect that you can pair convenience with complete isolation just because it’s something that is desired. That said, I do think that it’s reasonable that noise ordinances & community rules be followed, and that we shouldn’t have to tolerate excessive noise in the middle of the night as a matter of course in our surrounding neighborhoods. That said, if you buy a condo, townhouse, or SFH that’s in the center of a known party zone, or a growing and busy area, then that’s on you. One cannot expect development to stop when the convenience afforded by previous development is what likely drew you to the home in the first place. Now I know that there are going to be people out there that have lived in a home for 40 years that didn’t expect things to happen near them that are now, but I’ll also offer that those owners are also reaping the benefit of more value of their homes as a result. You can’t stop progress…not in a fast growing city.

14 Likes

There is no truth emoji, but there should be… :boom:

1 Like

I guess it depends how you define progress. To me (just me) clear cutting woods to put up what looks like white collar federal prisons is not really progress. I’d be happy to see those units built downtown, and I think most of you would as well from what I read on this board.

2 Likes

Todd Saieed/DeWitt regaring Midtown Exchange in today’s TBJ article: “We’re getting ready to start grading on Midtown, and it won’t be long before we have the office building to unveil and high-rise multifamily.”

17 Likes

The land is just across from my PT’s office where I was this morning, which is in the same building as DeWitt’s HQ. I’ll probably see the work start. I hope I’m not still seeing my PT for the duration of the construction. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Westin Brier Creek progress

14 Likes

I’m at the Westin at the Denver Airport now.

6 Likes

fun fact. That airport was designed by a NC State grad.

7 Likes

same architect designed both Denver and RDU terminals: Curt Fentress from NCSU.

11 Likes

Well I like Denver’s, seems very efficient, and the attached Westin is very nice. Good experiences.

1 Like

I love the rail that connects it now.

4 Likes