Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

RTP will continue to improve and it will pull more people or keep them away from downtown. When you are working/visiting you have to focus on work and get a lot done and DTR is not worth going out of the way. Who wants to drive 30 miles to see “plywood art” on Fayetteville st. Blocking Kane and downtown south which would turn things around for downtown Raleigh will only be a positive for RTP. RTP is making big moves and will steal all the good stuff from DTR. Blocking Kane and possibly killing the project will only end up hurting the people and things you think your protecting and advocating for. DUMB!

2 Likes

Just a quick point of clarification, DTR isn’t 30 miles from RTP. From its redeveloping core, it’s just over half that distance.

1 Like

It. One as well be, still not worth the time, it’s not the distance for the most part, it’s downtown itself.

I think it’s funny how RTP gets one mixed use development and to some it’s already “competing” with DTR. Do we not realize that DTR (ITB) has music venues, fine arts center, the convention center (which is supposed to expand), a few of the best museums around (also supposed to expand), major college, and a developing major park (Dix)? If there’s events going on in DTR, people will go. RTP may be growing but it has a very long way to catch up.

10 Likes

There is more to downtown Raleigh than Fayetteville St. Even without some boarded up windows, Fayetteville street has been almost dead much of the time for several years. If I was staying near the airport, I’d take the 12 mile drive and eat somewhere interesting. Downtown does compete with RTP for job locations and work related lodging, but I don’t see it competing for having stuff to do.

4 Likes

Agreed. RTP is dead at night. There are places to eat but not much else as far as entertainment.

3 Likes

Not for long, it is a changin and it won’t take much to keep RTP visitors on site.

Park Center RTP seems like a much more immediate competitor for downtown Durham (10 min drive) or Southpoint than with downtown Raleigh (25+ min drive). I doubt any visitor who has a 9AM meeting at RTP is going to choose a hotel in downtown Raleigh, or even dine in DTR the night before.

But: there’s plenty of consumer spending to support lots of walkable centers. Just have them out-compete conventional shopping centers, not one another!

5 Likes

Depends on traffic. pre-covid rush hour that would be a 40 minute trip.

1 Like

yup. non-covid times: 5 or 6 pm leave RTP for downtown Raleigh to go out for dinner. Count on an hour in snarled traffic. that’s why they are building things near RTP to feed/lodge/possibly entertain and definitely live near RTP. The RTP visitors crowd to DTR isn’t doing the equivalent of a 10-15 min drive to downtown Nashville.

I dropped a pin on Google maps at the location of that redevelopment, and asked for distance to Raleigh, which took me to the very center. It came up with 16. It went 40>Wade>Capital Blvd into DT.

1 Like

That’s the thing, this area is 2.2 million people and growing at a rapid clip, we can support one major downtown (Raleigh), one semi-major downtown (Durham), many smaller downtowns (CH, Cary, Apex, WF), and a few “new school” mixed use projects (North Hills, Hub RTP, Fenton) just fine.

12 Likes

Wanted to create a thread for North Raleigh for development, things to do, or anything in general separate from the RTP development thread.

Went out for a walk today near Crabtree and it looks like the Mine Creek Trail section behind the Trails of North Hills Apartments reopened today.

8 Likes

Sorry this doesn’t feel unique enough to warrant it’s own thread.

2 Likes

Add this topic to it. RTP and North Raleigh are not the same thing. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/12/02/raleigh-luxury-apartments-north-ridge-aventon.html

Let me elaborate. And I admit, it’s not really written anywhere, I could do better, but I have a long standing rule that as you go further away from downtown, the less this forum needs to be focused on.

Loosely stating:

1. Downtown Raleigh, every minute, every detail covered. We’re obsessed.
  2. ITB. Great, let’s cover it.
  3. North Raleigh and the suburbs. Put it in a general topic, like this one of the General News Thread.
  4. Anything else. It’s off-topic-off-forum, doesn’t belong here unless.

The caveat are things like the Show Off Things From Other Cities thread.

I’ve always had success and majority positive comments when I focus on downtown Raleigh.

13 Likes

This topic isn’t just for RTP. If you read through it you’ll see most of the discussion is focused on North Hills, Crabtree, and other shopping mall redevelopments like Carolina Yards.

6 Likes

Town of Morrisville trying to create a “downtown” from scratch in the middle of suburbia. Curious to see how it’ll be different from the rest of the typical ‘new-urban suburban’ developments of Cary, RTP, etc…

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/12/16/morrisville-downtown-corridor-project-developer.html

7 Likes

Morrisville is just weird. It’s one or so block of old houses, which I presume is the original Morrisville, and then just a sea of suburbia. Not sure how they will develop that into a any kind of downtown.

5 Likes

Ah, yes, “downtown.”

9 Likes