Raleigh Convention Center - Expansion and Larger Events

I’m sorry but I’m going to die on this hill. The thing that holds this area back is its largest city not acting like it. Increasingly the Triangle is seen as “Raleigh” from a national perspective and what we (the city of Raleigh) do matters because that’s how the region is being judged. Yielding this and yielding that to other parts of the Triangle does the entire region no favors.
So, count me in among those who are very happy that the city is looking at its convention center complex and going big. I just want to see them do that with allied amenities and experiences as well.

8 Likes

I’m not suggesting yielding this and that and everything. But more cooperation and working together, vs. against each other all the time.

We disagree, but that’s fine.

@oakcitykarla will have an issue with you boycotting St Roche. Watch yoself
crackhead

5 Likes

@John I experienced the same thing this year when we saw The Christmas Carol at DPAC. Lots of people pouring out of DPAC with nothing close by to go to (within 1-2 blocks, perhaps). As for Raleigh, I think the new Omni hotel (550 rooms?) and upcoming Convention Center expansion is going to help Martin Marietta Center for for Performing Arts.

7 Likes

TBJ mention about the CC Expansion

Contractors picked for Raleigh Convention Center expansion

The Raleigh Convention Center’s expansion project has selected Clancy & Theys Construction Company, Skanska, and D.A. Everett Construction Group as the construction managers in a joint venture. The project, which will add 500,000 square feet of space to the convention center and involve relocating the Red Hat Amphitheater, is estimated to cost $387.5 million and is expected to be completed by 2028.

21 Likes

Maybe you’ll even live in Raleigh by then!

9 Likes

2028? That means they need to break ground by end of the year or Spring to get that ready by then.

2 Likes

Gotta get through one more funding approval. That shouldn’t be long. But finally long awaited work on the skyline. I’ll hold me over for a few years. Hopefully by then other sholvels will hit the ground.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raleigh in State and Federal Politics

23 Likes

I still can’t quite fathom how they’re going to add seats by moving RHA. The block they’re going to looks pretty small.

Surprisingly there’s a lot of dead space in the old lot.

17 Likes

Aren’t they closing a portion of Lenoir St between the two lots? If so, that will also allow them to have more space for the amphitheater.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s super clear from the plans, but my hope is Lenoir goes under the new RHA and comes back above ground at the intersection with McDowell. Closing it would be bad for walkability, and the grade could allow for a solution like a tunnel.

8 Likes

I wonder if they are reorienting the stage from diagonal on the lot to square to the lot with the stage on the west side facing east?

1 Like

Or even into that northwest corner, slid and turned just a smidge.

As long as they dont take away the free ampitheater shows from atop the Lenoir st parking garage.

3 Likes

I can’t make this, and I imagine lots of people can’t either, but there is a community engagement event on Saturday July 20 about the convention center, amphitheater, and South Street. I’m hoping someone here can go and report back??? :grimacing:

https://raleighnc.gov/community/events/saturday-south

The City of Raleigh will host an event for community members to come learn about the future of Red Hat Amphitheater, Raleigh Convention Center, and South Street. The cookout will feature bounce houses, live music, and snow cones. Staff from Performing Arts, Transportation, Planning, and Parks departments will be on hand to explain what’s planned and answer questions.

It’s free and open to the public.

Date: July 20

Time: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Event Location: The City will close South Street between Dawson Street and McDowell Street for this event.

14 Likes

ASR filed for the RedHat replacement, not available online yet.
“Closure and demolition of a portion of South Street between Dawson Street & S McDowell St and the construction of a proposed amphitheater with associated infrastructure”

16 Likes

I look forward to seeing the design. I don’t love the closure of the street, but I hope we get a great new amenity downtown. I like the current one, but I know the acoustics aren’t the best and it does have a bit of a temporary feel to it, so I hope they hit a home run with the new one.

12 Likes