Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

…lawyer…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Oh, sorry — I misinterpreted your post to mean that she had announced a campaign for the mayor’s office.

Though I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing her make that step . . . :thinking:

2 Likes

I went to two of the GNR committee meetings where they worked out their rules for what types of ADUs would be allowed after an overlay for an ADU was approved, and Dicky was taking the conversation really seriously. Him and Crowder has the most input on what they would not want to see from ADU’s. I remember his being right there with her on limiting size and adding setbacks, and they spent lots of (my) time debating requiring landscaping to cover up the ADU. Zero conversation on what types to encourage or how to make them doable for homeowners. He also gave the quote to the N&O about protecting neighborhoods first when making his decision on ADU’s after the overlay passed. I generally thought of him as just business friendly and not so interesting in this stuff before those meetings.

3 Likes

I see. Good to know. I will level-set then. :wink:

1 Like

I loosely follow this blog but found this perspective interesting.

5 Likes

Saw Charles Francis at Whole Foods tonight. I was tempted to talk to him about the City Hall plans but decided to let him buy his dinner uninterrupted…

3 Likes
7 Likes

Anyone have access to position statements on various issues from the various candidates that could be posted here? I’m not in Raleigh so could not vote on them, but would be interested in knowing where they stand.

This coming from a man who is selling his 8,000 square-foot mansion for $3.15 million . . . :thinking:

7 Likes

I really try to keep my politics off this forum. Added that I am not a fan of Charles and I support the new city hall. That said, his success as an attorney (ie expensive house), IMO, has nothing to do with whether or not he thinks the new city hall is a prudent use of city funds.

4 Likes

I’d like to clarify that I honestly don’t have an issue with Francis choosing to live in a large, expensive house if he can afford to; rather, I find it slightly hypocritical that he considers a new City campus building to be excessive when he himself lives in a house considered excessive by most standards.

6 Likes

I don’t see it being hypocritical at all. The difference is, presumably, his house is built with his money, the city campus is built with taxpayer money. I would be more concerned if he was in favor of a lavish facility.

2 Likes

I would say it’s more ironic than hypocritical lol. Either way he rubs me the wrong way and I doubt I’d vote for him. He is free to try to convince me otherwise.

6 Likes

His economic policies are totally informed by his class. Got to cancel as much public investment as possible to shave a few hundred thousand off those taxes… there’s a selfish motivation behind all of it.

You will always see taxes and boondoggles mentioned with lots of accompanying handwringing and angry cane waving, for anything involving downtown improvement. Of course the fact that residents downtown pay more to begin with, and subsidize infrastructure in the suburbs to a far greater sum… that will never be mentioned.

Civic value of a project has no value to suburbanists. The fact that the municipal campus is a dead block–a festering wound that needs to be sewn up, and the city could take a quarter of it and sell the rest, probably net positive after renting space in the tower over several years, that doesn’t matter.

5 Likes

In the 2017 municipal elections, Francis ran on a platform of giving property tax breaks to senior citizens. He’s apparently running on a similar proposal this year.

This is a really, really terrible idea on the merits. Homeowners tend to be wealthier than non-homeowners, and home-owning Baby Boomers in particular tend to be wealthier than everybody else, so this would be directing a massive tax break for people who are, in the aggregate, disproportionately actually very well off.

But of course, Francis is a senior citizen, and because he owns such an expensive home, he pays a lot of money in property taxes, so…

8 Likes

Add another name to the growing list. I’m not sure exactly where she stands on some of the major issues but liked this statement about Dix Park. "Her campaign will prioritize affordable housing, government transparency, economic mobility, and turning the vision for Dix Park into a reality "

4 Likes

say this quote from Caroline Sullivan in TJB report. Not sure what it means but sounds good.

“Raleigh’s fugure (sic from TBJ) must be better than it’s past. We can’t waste time on divisiveness and pettiness.”

3 Likes

Got a new one in the race for District A http://patrickforraleigh.com/

2 Likes
7 Likes

“And I want to see some protected bike lanes.”

Gonna be hard for me to vote against that.

3 Likes