Raleigh In The News around the country/world

Slightly off topic, but the reconstructed area of Beirut is extremely nice. Mass planning done well.

Isn’t that the area that just blew up?

They have more really nice high rise condos than Raleigh for sure. Beirut has 3 towers taller than the PNC Plaza’s official height and looks like 13 towers taller than the PNC Plaza sans 111-foot crown. They’re a lot nicer too compared to our homely parking pedestal boxes.

I would love to visit one day.

1 Like

It wasn’t the worst hit area, but yeah, I saw some videos where their was a lot of exploded windows and broken facades. A famous building by Zaha Hadid had major fire damage a few weeks after the explosion.

@Francisco
The architecture was a priority for some of the buildings. I thought they did a really nice job of mixing modern architecture in with other reconstructed/renovated buildings in a more traditional style.

Its an amazing city. It’s not one of the most enjoyable places to visit for a full vacation, but it’s one of those places that make you feel like you’re traveling for the first time, no matter how many other countries you’ve visited in your life. The diversity in all things is incredible (people, cultures, food, architecture, language, etc.). I’d highly recommend it with tempered expectations to expect some bad with all of the great.

4 Likes

New Jersey’s pharmaceutical industry is mostly in central Jersey, between Princeton and New Brunswick (Rutgers). But since that’s literally neither here nor there – split between the NYC and Philly areas – it’s easy to lose sight of. As pharma research has become biotech based, rather than chemistry based, it’s fallen behind other areas.

3 Likes

Um…my comment about Jersey was tongue in cheek. I guess that I should have used some emojis.
As for Jersey essentially being mostly either a suburb of NYC or Philly, or pretty much being some amorphous blob from a metro perspective, I get it…and God forbid someone says “Central Jersey” in an official manner! :wink: We’ve already seen the backlash to their governor claiming that there’s such a place.

1 Like

From BisJournal # Raleigh becomes HQ for New York public company making WFH indefinite.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/
Seems the exiting from huge cities is real. But not many jobs as focus is on letting employees to WFH.

— “Quietly, a publicly-traded New York technology firm has shifted its headquarters to Raleigh”

– :we made the decision to allow our New York City Office lease to expire at the end of January 2021.”

6 Likes

I find this type of news depressing and don’t see it as win for Raleigh or society.

Haha at first I thought the name of the company was called ‘Quietly’. A Vancouver-based tech company.

2 Likes

Pretty easy to see here that they went public and advantageously moved HQ to the South on paper only.

1 Like

Do we call them paperbaggers?

1 Like

You never know how a planted seed will grow. It will be interesting to watch this one. If they were only interested in moving their HQ on paper, they would have moved it to Delaware or somewhere that tech talent didn’t matter.

4 Likes

N&O reports Raleigh hit #3 for happiest cities in the nation with Lincoln, Nebraska at #1 and Madison, Wisconsin #2.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article247858935.html

7 Likes

They should poll them again in a few weeks when it’s -20°F in those places

7 Likes

Durham’s 12th. Greensboro’s 30th. Charlotte’s 33rd. Winston-Salem’s 46th.

Nashville 24th, Austin 27th. Eat it

5 Likes

The Triangle #30 on the top 50 places to travel in 2021 by Travel + Leisure. Charlotte not on the list, which is odd because according to them Charlotte’s Got A Lot!™

12 Likes

The first 4 would be much better to move to, it really sucks here for LS people, don’t come here, you will hate it. OK, just kidding.

#5 is Birmingham… yeah I’m not trying to get lynched

this whole list seems like drew names out of hat and then tried to find something nice to say. I would not see any reason to go on vacation to maybe 47 of the 50.

1 Like