Raleigh In The News around the country/world

Seriously? There are reasons not to visit B’ham, I was surprised it was ranked #5, but a fear of lynching is not one of them.

7 Likes

Yeah, lynching is a highly specific concern.

1 Like

I was somewhat joking but I’m not exactly a fan of southern and 100% red states, people that live there aren’t to fond of poc

1 Like

The gulf states have some issues. Couldn’t pay me to live in them. These types of lists are usually procedurally generated based on a handful of economic metrics and ignore the social aspect though. They rotate through cities year by year.

3 Likes

I’ve lived in Alabama for 16 years now. I don’t know anyone who has a problem with people of other colors, races or ethnicities. But then I won’t stay friendly with you if you do, so there is some self-selection. Stereotypes are tricky things, and almost always unfair. Birmingham is a majority minority town, with a lot of cool things going on. It is not the town of the 1960s, and indeed that was a violent minority of the population even then. I suggest you visit and find out for yourself. After all, my family out West felt the same way about Raleigh in the 1980s. You will find good people and a-holes anywhere you travel.
I can also recommend Automatic Seafood, we’ve brunched there 3 times this year. Its excellent.

11 Likes

I might consider visiting when the political climate and race relations are better, when or if things change.

Well, you can take some comfort in numbers in Birmingham; it’s 3/4 POC.

1 Like

It is just one sentence, but this New York Times article about a proposed $10 billion renovation of the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan mentions that “More than a dozen American cities, including San Francisco, Denver and Raleigh, N.C., have moved in the past decade to build new bus stations or create multimodal transit hubs that bring together bus and rail services.”

Pretty cool to be reading about real estate in NYC and see Raleigh’s RUS Bus project get name dropped.

13 Likes

Cool shout out! That said, imagine if Raleigh had a $10B project in the pipeline. That’s 5X Downtown South.

2 Likes

Just remember, anything in NY, Boston and other large NE cities cost 2-3 times over anywhere else.

1 Like

I have a project @ Penn Plaza right now, and I’m experiencing that! Not sure I’d say 2 or 3 X the cost, but definitely more.

1 Like
4 Likes

According to StorageCafé, Raleigh is apparently the best city in the US for shared living with roommates:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article248982430.html

(And for those wondering, Charlotte came in 6th.)

4 Likes

The Milken Institute is a well- known economic think tank. They just published their annual report on best performing cities and Raleigh came in at #5 for large cities (up six spots from #11 last year). They use metrics like job creation, wage gains, etc.

#1 is Provo. Austin #3. Nashville #8. Charlotte #26. Durham #42. Winston-Salem #122.

10 Likes

Both the News & Observer and TBJ have articles on the Milken Institute report.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article249289105.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/02/17/raleigh-top-10-milken-best-performing-cities-2021.html

1 Like

If there’s a silver lining to Raleigh being its own MSA is that it gets to shine in reports like this vis-a-vis Durham. It seems to me that Raleigh more often out performs Durham in these data rankings than vice versa. Ironically, I remember that “Durham” was excited when they got their own MSA because they were convinced that the opposite was true: that Raleigh was riding on the coat tails of an over performing Durham.
When the Triangle is recombined, and our data are considered together, a ranking like this will be lowered, and our MSA growth rate will slow.

5 Likes

The MSA growth will be the same, but just count the way it actually should.

The percentage growth of the combined MSA will be lowered.

From 2010-19:
Durham Chapel Hill MSA +1.45% per year growth
Raleigh Cary MSA +2.27% per year growth

Right now, Raleigh is among the fastest growing MSAs in the nation. When combined with Durham’s, the rate will go down. As an example, and in the same time period as above, the Triangle’s CSA grew 1.95% per year.

Conventional wisdom might think that the Durham side would be growing at a faster rate because absolute numerical growth has a bigger impact on a smaller base population, but that’s not the case. Despite Raleigh’s MSA being more than double the size of Durham’s, it’s still growing faster.

2 Likes

A lot of that has to do with slow-to-no-growth Orange County being in the Durham MSA, with the spillover going to Chatham County (Raleigh MSA) and Alamance County (Greensboro). Durham City/County itself continues to show some strong growth.

1 Like

Durham City indeed has a strong growth rate, but Wake County is still growing at a faster rate than Durham County. The slower MSA growth rate is not just because of Orange County.

Durham should continue to grow at a fast (%) clip since it’s significantly less densely populated than Raleigh, and it theoretically has more places to grow and densify.

1 Like