Raleigh In The News around the country/world

And some of the objective ratings where Raleigh outperforms Durham could actually drag us down.

Meanwhile Boulder and Denver are separate cities

1 Like

Whoever’s turn it is in Jumanji, please roll the dice before we get a flood or something!

7 Likes

Raleigh came in 163rd out of 182 cities in terms of stress, making us one of the 20 least stressed cities in the country.

7 Likes

I bet if you excluded Livable Raleigh members we’d range even higher (less stressed).

13 Likes

I think they did that before as well. Apparently they can’t tell the difference between Raleigh and Shanghai.

2 Likes

The FCC has proposed establishing Raleigh and Boston as “Innovation Zones” to allow for advanced wireless communication research. Currently, NYC and SLC are the only FCC Innovation Zones. There will be a vote on August 5 to formally approve.

The Raleigh designation is in conjunction with NC State and it sounds like it will focus on 5G and drones.

13 Likes

wow missed that, that was Shanghai. That is parkway along the PO river where Suzhou river meets PO and white thing is Peace Monument at junction of rivers. Guess one reason I missed that is all the ships on PO river are missing.

1 Like

They aren’t the only publication that has used a picture of Shanghai when writing about Raleigh.

I mean, to be fair, they are so indistinguishable from each other… :rofl:

9 Likes

Yea I can see how easily confused. They are close to same size, Raleigh metro ~2.5m population, Shanghai is only a little bigger at 25m just for city. Raleigh has 1 or 2 buildings over 30 stories, while Shanghai only has > 1000 of them including 2 there were worlds tallest when built. Raleigh has a creek running through part of center city, mostly buried, Shanghai has a large river running through center of city that supports ocean going ships.

Then not surprised, seems to be a journalist these days all you have to do is pay fees and show of for classes a few times a year to get your degree. Heck if you do not actually know anything about what you are reporting on, can assume that most people seeing your report do not know anything about it either.

7 Likes

That river walk changed so much over the past 10 years. They extended it both to the north and to the south and moved traffic going in one direction underground. I remember it used to have a giant interstate off ramp to the south of where that picture is taken.

I love how popular it is to cluelessly shit on Russia.

1 Like

You are welcome to defend it. I’ve been there, saw its most beautiful city as a tourist, but no thank you to living there.

If only because of the snow & winter dark, its on my list “of no interest in living in.”
My daughter wants to move to Norway. Also a no go. Though will come from long summer visits.

Do Summer for sure! I’ve done Finland several times and Summer can be great if you get good temps.

1 Like

Looks like the Raleigh Innovation Zone was approved by the FCC. Will focus on drones and wireless communications. One of only four in the entire country. Pretty cool.

12 Likes

I bet the people who think 5G signals are part of a mind-controlling conspiracy will love this :upside_down_face:

Joking aside, this’ll definitely be interesting, and it’ll be neat to see how this develops in the startup and grant world! State has lots of people who are really skilled in the digital signal processing world, so I’m looking forward for their time to shine, too.

(In case anyone needs to hear this: your doubts about the world that led you to those beliefs may be valid, but no, electromagnetic waves are not out to get you.)

4 Likes

I saw this on RALToday and thought I’d throw it on here…as I’m sure it’ll start some debate. Look who’s #1 on the list for 2021 :smile:

5 Likes

I’d have to say out of all the cities I’ve been to Raleigh does feel like the easiest to drive in. IMO though ATL should be WAY lower. People drive so reckless.

2 Likes