Raleigh In The News around the country/world

Speaking of water supply for growing cities… when is Raleigh ever going to get started on the Eastern Wake reservoir? With the drought of 2007/2008 (when I moved back to Raleigh) Raleigh and Durham were both under pretty strict water conservation measures b/c Falls lake was basically a creek. As we continue to grow, particularly to the east (Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon, Clayton), we need to be working to increase our water supply or we will eventually hit the limit of how big we can grow.

14 Likes

Let me rephrase that for you. We almost always see Raleigh ranked just a few above Charlotte.

Wake Co. started a federally-required environmental review of that proposal. They realized in 2016 there were ways to expand our water supply without destroying wetlands and possibly screwing with the water supply for people living/working downstream from us. They had to put the Little River Reservoir on ice because of that (though they could revisit this after we try all other options, probably by 2030), and they’re now looking at tapping into some of Falls Lake’s water that’s maintained for water quality purposes.

For anyone like me who didn’t know about this project until now, here’s a map of the protected watershed and more information from the county.

Agreed. Having a steady water supply is a huge selling point for manufacturing businesses and people moving away from California, too, so that’a a competitive edge our state and region needs to fight and maintain. We’re good with our water supply for now, but this is definitely something that could bite us back in a decade and some change unless we do more.

6 Likes

I agree 1000% with you on that one. Having a high-speed rail system between the two economic engines of the state seems like a no brainer. Allowing people up here to commute down there daily for a job would really connect things. I think I remember that discussion going on in the Commuter Rail thread I believe…

@John well played my friend, silly of me to make such a mistake :rofl:

4 Likes

I assume if the A’s relocate to Vegas it would have to be in a dome as Vegas outside during the dog days of the summer would be absolutely brutal…and I don’t recall them having a ready made stadium (indoor or outdoor) laying around? I wonder if that means Portland is out?

1 Like

Decreasing demand should be our fist option. It’s crazy how much water gets wasted by my neighbor’s yards with their near perfect lawns. Sprinklers going non-stop it seems. For me, I don’t generally think about setting out the sprinkler unless it’s been about a week without rain.

The city, county needs to promote native plants and lawn alternatives that don’t require drowning your grass with water daily. That will go a long way to reducing water demand.

11 Likes

Here is the article I read. The discuss sites, but not design. You would think that a dome would be necessary - or at least a massive sun shade. I think @Loup20 may have been the person who introduced me to this site during a long past discussion here.

The A’s, Alameda County and Oakland are all still negotiation. Its been an up & down affair. The county holds a meeting at the end the month to discuss their part in the plan to keep the A’s in town.

2 Likes

Good news, Raleighwood made it on the TV last night!!

Bad news: This was an $800 question last night. No one even buzzed in.
Here is the story from the N&0
https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/article255019687.html#storylink=mainstage_card3

16 Likes

We want to keep Raleigh boring and a secret, so it seems we’re doing a great job!

8 Likes
5 Likes

You guys, we made it! We were a question on Jeopardy! OMG, so many fanboy vibes over here. This is the big time, folks. Jeopardy! Oh, man. I’m getting goosebumps just typing those words out. This is so cool! We are big time. Big time.

2 Likes

We were also the answer a few years ago.

“This North Carolina city founded in 1792 is named for a man who died in 1618.”

That time someone at least got the answer, though to be fair the category was “R-town”.

4 Likes

Speaking of reports - Research Triangle featured in the runners-up list section tied as #36 world wide in the 2021 Startup Genome Report:

highly ranked for talent, especially in the life science area

3 Likes

Cross-posting from “state and federal politics” since that thread isn’t visible to everyone:

5 Likes

Go Raleigh!

11 Likes

The pic they used is the most “Rust Belt” looking one I have ever seen of downtown Raleigh.

7 Likes

I love that green lawn in the middle!! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Quick snippet for those against clicking through to articles.

The Raleigh metro area stands out as the best place to start a small business. Here are the main highlights about North Carolina’s capital city:

• It has the seventh-highest proportion of residents with at least a bachelor’s degree — 48%, compared with an average of 34.5% across the 100 metros.
  • Nearly 55% of its population is in their prime working years between ages 25 and 54, good enough for ninth among the 100 metros.
  • Its unemployment rate was 3.9% in July 2021 — the latest available at the time of research — nearly two percentage points lower than the U.S. rate of 5.7%.
8 Likes

This is the 43rd Emerging Trends in Real Estate report, which has become one of the most widely read forecasts in the real estate industry (Fortune Magazine)Here are PWC’s top ranked real estate markets for 2022:

1. Nashville
  2. Raleigh/Durham
  3. Phoenix
  4. Austin
  5. Tampa/St. Petersburg
  6. Charlotte
  7. Dallas/Fort Worth
  8. Atlanta
  9. Seattle
  10. Boston

For people looking to build new homes, the report recommends these cities:

1. Raleigh/Durham