Raleigh In The News around the country/world

See, I’m more comfortable with that because someone who is trained on the technology and being paid to monitor the vehicle is behind the steering wheel. That is proper testing. Releasing it to the general public isn’t testing; that’s taking a massive gamble with a large and dangerous machine.

It’s odd to me that this whole thing has even been up for debate (not just here, I mean everywhere). If there’s a new, unproven technology out on the street that has the potential to kill me, I want the person operating it to know what they’re dealing with. Obviously, we don’t always see that with non-autonomous vehicles (and that’s a different subject that delves into my growing aversion to private cars in general), but the risks are generally understood when you get behind a wheel because you’ve been required to take driver’s ed. An AV is a totally different beast that requires an additional set of skills and experience, and again, it’s still very new. But it’s been marketed like it’s perfectly safe and perfected for public use when it absolutely is not.

My concern isn’t that it’s being tested on public streets. My concern is that the “testing/development” phase is involving people who aren’t trained on the technology.

6 Likes

Last time I was in Vegas was 2019 and Lyft was doing the same program back then too. I think I remember they were using specifically a BMW for their autonomous vehicles.

Edit: found the old email where they sent me stuff about it.

1 Like

Apparently you’re not familiar with agile/rapid prototyping methodology. Failing quickly and often is the most efficient way to a good product. /s

1 Like

Not when failing means the general public is getting run over and killed…

1 Like

I was being sarcastic.

2 Likes

Lol. I see it now. Missed the sarcasm font. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I was watching a show called The boys on amazon. quite a popular show and critically acclaimed. It’s about superheroes but not in a marvel/dc kind of away. i would recommend it. anyways, In season 2, Raleigh is mentioned as the residence of a retired superhero in the show i thought that was cool. I tried to find a connection between raleigh to someone involved in the show but i couldn’t. They couldn’t have just randomly came up with Raleigh all places right? lol. felt pride but it really sunk in that Raleigh is no longer a well kept secret, being named drop in major productions in recent years.

9 Likes

I’ve seen that show and could be call the “Superheroes Bad Boy’s Club”, which episode was that, I some how missed the ref to Raleigh, BTW Starlight is a real cutie :grin:

2 Likes

It’s actually Garner, I remember texting a friend who lives there about it - there’s even a scene “set” there, but filmed in Ontario.

1 Like

Maybe the writers remembered Garner from Scotty McCreery’s time on Idol?

2 Likes

It could be from the top of the holiday inn. I was there once (years ago) for a wedding reception and they let us on the roof for photos.

I bet they would let a magazine up there.

1 Like

Talking to a coworker about tract-built housing around the Triangle, suburban sprawl, “master planned” communities, etc… We are familiar with the project in Harnett county for 2,250 residential units across 850 acres on the Cape Fear River currently in planning.

Personally, the recognition of our region in national media, and attention from wall street is bitter sweet. I am excited about the growth, and grateful we are a target area for investment, but man I am worried about the execution of how we will grow. Here’s to hoping that Wake Co., Chatham Co., Durham Co., Harnett, Orange, Lee, etc. put their big-boy pants on and choose a more holistic approach to housing all these new citizens, but I won’t hold my breath. Here’s to hoping we won’t end up with degraded water, soil, and air as a cost for this growth, but that seems unlikely. Here’s to hoping our region’s auto traffic won’t follow in the footsteps of Austin, or worse, but I’ll remain skeptical. I’m looking at you Cary, Wake Forest, Apex, Holly Springs, Pittsboro, Wendell…

18 Likes

I wonder if there’s an effort or organization to pull these various municipalities together to at least acknowledge the challenge but better, work to put incentives/policies in place to handle the growth as “responsibly” as possible…

I’d look to City of Raleigh and Wake Co. to spearhead something like that. Great point, @evan.j.bost.

4 Likes

At this point, I’m not sure how Harnett County works with the Triangle when it’s no longer even considered part of the Triangle’s CSA.

That wouldn’t stop them from being part of a metropolitan coordinating council given that they’re firmly in the growth zone of the region.

2 Likes

Unless they are working with Fayetteville.

Couldn’t they be in two at once? I don’t think coordinating growth plans with Raleigh precludes them from doing the same with Fayetteville.

TJCOG works on some of that kind of stuff, but I’m not sure how much sway they hold, if any. https://www.tjcog.org/

1 Like

CSA designations aside, the pending 2,250 master planned community in Lillington is in response to growing demand in Fuquay, Clayton, and Angier spilling further south.

Ironically today’s Raleigh Convergence newsletter interviewed Nick Neptune and he name drops a group that sounds exactly like what you and @evan.j.bost are describing. WakeUp Wake County?