Raleigh In The News around the country/world

No, payrolls measure the number of employed people on company payrolls. (Doesn’t count self-employed or small businesses with a small number of employees).

NYTimes special section on museums this week

Can the Best Fossils Ever Found Answer the Biggest Dinosaur Question? https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/arts/design/north-carolina-museum-dinosaur-question.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

6 Likes

Raleigh 3rd fastest.

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/16/fastest-growing-cities-growth-america-population

14 Likes

4 Likes

If the rate continues, we should crack 500k in 2025.

5 Likes

According to worldpopulationreview.com, the population of Raleigh, North Carolina in 2024 is 488,854, which is a 1.27% annual growth rate. The city’s population has increased by 5.28% since the 2020 census, which recorded a population of 464,320. The Raleigh metro area population in 2024 is 1,629,000, which is a 2.39% increase from 2023

12 Likes

Raleigh was in the top 10 among all US cities for residents gained last year with a net gain of 8,872 new residents:

10 Likes

Atlanta is particularly impressive because of the size of their city limits, which are a tad smaller than Raleigh’s. There has been a lot of high rise housing delivered in Atlanta as of late. Infill apartments in downtown Raleigh have been doing a lot of the heavy lifting for Raleigh’s growth, especially when compared to the absolutely tiny size of downtown proper. With thousands of new units either recently delivered, under construction, or in planning, expect downtown to continue to do a lot of the heavy lifting. When one adds what’s happening in Midtown and with other infill mulit-family projects, Raleigh proper will continue to grow along with the greater Triangle region.

10 Likes

That for % for Ft Worth is dang impressive for a town that big. For the record, Ft. Worth does rock. I enjoyed the heck of out of living there a couple decades back.

1 Like

Ft Worth is about 350 square miles and is larger in land area than Raleigh+Durham+Cary. This is why Atlanta’s growth number and rate are so impressive. They only have about 135 square miles in total.

6 Likes

No doubt there - I think many folks forget how small the city of Atlanta’s footprint is.
I do all the time when I hit the outer ex-burbs and know there is only another hour of driving to get downtown, lol.

3 Likes

charlotte usa is also heavily skewed because they annexed virtually the entire county in the 80’s…so they could constantly claim "how big theirs is…I mean “they are”.

Austin & Indianapolis are similar in that regard

4 Likes

I believe Nashville, Jacksonville and Virginia Beach absorbed their entire counties in the 70s & 80. A race to be big and it worked. If Raleigh had done so, the population would be 1.1M & Charlotte would be 1.05M.

1 Like

Interestingly, Nashville-Davidson has still not recovered to its 2020 Census population as of the latest estimates. So, the greater Nashville metro is growing but the core city/county isn’t.

1 Like

Nice write up about the crazy roof-lined place by Transfer, on East nearly to Davie Streets.

10 Likes

NCSU alum Abby Lampe won the Gloucestershire cheese rolling race… Again.

Wearing school sweater (and, bravely, earrings).

19 Likes

Watching the videos of her going down that muddy hill like a rag doll is :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I was reading and laughing about this event on BBC yesterday. Imagine my pride seeing a Raleigh alum win it. Lol!

1 Like

She’s now 2 for 2. She initially trained in Dix Park.

1 Like

Raleigh remains one of the top markets for new grads to find a job.
In a cooling job market, these cities remain hot spots for new grads (msn.com)

6 Likes