Raleigh needs an attraction!

I really do hope that St. Albans ends up like north hills. I want to see at least one 30 story building.

4 Likes

I was in DC earlier this year (July). The canal had water in it (if it’s the same one I was at just below M street).

2 Likes

Was there this weekend, definitely had water.

1 Like

Thanks for update, just going by the picture on goggle earth.

1 Like

There was A LOTTTT of rain when I was there. Probably had everything to do with it.

2 Likes

Devereux Meadows Park

If I did this correctly, you can find more about this “park” here!

2 Likes

Yes I like the sound of this!

A world class aquarium might prove worthwhile.

3 Likes

Maybe Aquariums, or a Legoland. Something that fits the Raleigh image, fortnite land was a thing since Epic brought Cary Towne Center but we don’t know what ul with that.

3 Likes

I think it would be great if Epic made a public-facing portion like a Fortnite Land. They certainly have the land for it now, but we will have to see what their plans are.

2 Likes

Fortnite isn’t cool with the kids anymore. BUT a Fortnite themed paintball arena would be sweet.

2 Likes

I know on this one that I will get Booed off the site . In DTSouth , build a 10,000 seat soccer stadium with the ability to increase to 20,000 fans . Bring in The Courage , NCFC , ALPB Baseball , Future MLS , Future MLB when time commits & the added 10,000 seats . By being in DTSouth , The Courage might bring in 10,000 fans right away , NCFC might bring in 5,000 fans , ALPB should bring in 5,000 to 7,000 fans , do a study on this . Hoping with-in 10 years that Raleigh will be in a strong position for MLS , MLB , due to proven fan base of minor league soccer & minor league baseball . What , App.35+ soccer games , app. 70 baseball games , a season will bring people to Raleigh . I have heard people criticized ALPB . High Point in September sent 3 pitchers straight to MLB , Washington , Tampa Bay , LA Angels . Last year cities Lexington , KY. ,Charleston , WV , Staten Island NY in 2022 , & Hagerstown , Md. in 2023 will be added to this 24 year old AA Level League . ALPB is a Partner of MLB . Sports has worked for Charlotte & this could work for Raleigh I believe . Yes , a larger stadium that would be required for both soccer & baseball would cost more money , but 100+ games a year hopefully would be worth it . 2019 Sugarland , Tx. of The ALPB is currently a AAA team for Houston & Somerset , Pa of ALPB is now a AA Team for New York Yankees . Let’s give Durham a run for the money ! Go Raleigh Soccer / Baseball Downtown !

8 Likes

Aquariums aren’t huge draws like they used to be. Not to mention there’s already a world class aquarium a few hours down south in Atlanta…i don’t think that’s a competion Raleigh wants or needs to be involved in. Let them have that. It needs to be something unique to Raleigh. Amusement parks, aquariums, zoos, museums etc are far too common. If that’s the direction you want to go, you have to make it “better than the rest.” Although the museum of natural sciences here is excellent, nothing about it is too unique or groundbreaking besides the awesome giant globe. I want that energy focused on something unique to make Raleigh different. Attractions are supposed to draw people in to see things they can’t anywhere else. The more rare or unique, the better the attraction. I think Dix park can be that once the park’s vision comes to fruition, because not many cities have prime land like that in the heart of downtown. We can mold it into what we want. yes parks are common but we really have a shot to go all in on this one and make it world class and atleast “better than most.”

10 Likes

I think this might have been mentioned before but what about a gaming history museum. Think of the generational cycle and how fast that industry is now evolving, but where it came from. It seems there’s one outside of Dallas in Frisco but that’s a good distance from us, and with our roots in the gaming industry, it seems like it could be a good draw.

4 Likes

The more diversity of experiences that Raleigh continues to get including more housing, more dining, more businesses, better parks, more festivals, etc. makes Raleigh THE attraction. I’d rather attract people with a rich variety of experiences instead of having a “thing” that people come see and then leave. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for having those “things” too, but they don’t come first in my book.

5 Likes

Need to buy the PS2 building from the state and convert it to the video game museum.

22 Likes

Yesterday’s City of Oaks Marathon brought several thousand runners (not to mention supporters) along the race course through downtown Raleigh. In the past we have held multiple races throughout the year in DTR, but now we’re down to just one big one and a handful of smaller 5Ks. (And the Krispy Kreme Challenge, of course :slight_smile: ) Speaking as someone who travels far and wide to run these races, we could really play up the fitness aspect of our city and encourage more of these types of events to attract folks from out of town to our city. And, I’m completely biased here, but seeing a new city on foot beats the heck out of driving any day. In other news, I’ll be heading to Tulsa, OK in 2 weeks for another race, will be State #24 on my journey to run a half marathon in all 50.

12 Likes

I never took part in one, but people at my gym lament about the loss of the Raleigh Ironman triathlon races around here. My wife and I compete in Spartan races and I’ve always thought the greater Raleigh/Wake County area would be perfect for one of these. Thousands of people come for these from all over the country and I think it’d be a great fit down here. They currently do Spartan races in Charlotte, Asheville, and Fayetteville and I think our area would be great for one too.

2 Likes

Doesn’t have to be a world-class aquarium. My thought was a SeaLife Aquarium on the ground floor of the 215 N Dawson project would be a good connector between Glenwood South and the museum area.

3 Likes

I just happened to route our 20 mile training walk along much of the full marathon route yesterday. We had a good time cheering everybody on though we seemed to get our own cheering from people thinking we were participating. LOL
Was really great to see the city pull together to make it happen and all of the participants. The after party was in The Hollow and while it took us a few more hours to get back that way from our route, we came in as the later part of the full marathon runners were trickling back (about 5.5hrs in). We definitely need more long running events!

3 Likes