Raleigh needs an attraction!

I just saw that The Raleigh City Council on Tuesday November 16 will discussed a possible ice rink at Red Hat Ampitheater . It will take $100,000 for this . Sounds like UNC Rex Healthcare may be a sponsor .

4 Likes

@nipper.dwight on queue!
:shushing_face:

2 Likes

Ice is nice but a roller rink is probably cheaper and can operate year round! šŸ›¼šŸ›¼ But Iā€™m biased and will check out the ice rink if it happens.

2 Likes

I have only roller skated & I have never tried ice skating . Deb , You probably know about the roller skating rink on Trawick Road .

I thought someone had already posted a picture of this, but this has been in place a couple days nowā€¦

13 Likes

Brilliant idea!! Great way to activate that space while concert season is dormant. Now they just need to remove all the rest of the seats in there, rip up half the concrete, and bring in some dirt to make an actual auditorium :grin:

5 Likes

I posted an aerial shot but RCC reached out and asked I pull it as theyā€™re going for a surprise release I believe. Iā€™m guessing the pic on here wonā€™t go ā€œviralā€ in Raleigh but I pulled it from LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram so figured I might as well pull it from here as well.

Love the activation and canā€™t wait to see how Raleigh reacts!

6 Likes

And the official announcement. Perhaps not an ā€œattractionā€ but even though itā€™s temp, people will drive from an extended region to check it out.

10 Likes

Itā€™s good but Raleigh could settle for more more, more like a Gucci store, or a Louie Vitton storeā€¦ Raleigh always want to settle for less because the citizens are to scared to get there feet In the water. Look at Austin they werenā€™t afraid to get there feet in the water. Look at the boom there going through, yet we are still debating transit and uncomfortableness of people and Nimbyism and Yimbyism. If Raleigh wants to have all these great things then stop focusing on negative effects I think Raleigh suffering from the JGKED (James Goodknight Education Syndrome), where you look at other cities with some struggles and you guys act educated and want the surburbia feel not the urban feel. And I heard a Raleigh employee say people in Seattle whoā€™ve lived there forever wish Seattle was like it was 20 or 40 years ago". And there too many people who envisioned a lame view of Raleigh where they envisioned the live and work whereā€™s the play part and Raleigh doesnā€™t have the play in live work and play. Because you have rocking chair settle for less attitude. Raleigh could have a fine nightlife downtown but yā€™all just too quaint. Thatā€™s a symptom of the JGKED.

3 Likes

In Dec 2020, I proposed a site north of Durham to Six Flags that was unsold for a few years. Within a few months, the site had sold (not sure if it was Six Flags) but the site was right off the highway and had roughly 430 acres of land. I can imagine if anything is happening there that is Six Flags related, an announcement will be made later and would be in the planning phase

10 Likes

Hold the phoneā€¦ are you insinuating that itā€™s possible a Six Flags is developing a new theme park north of Durham? I find this highly unlikely with the proximity of Carowinds just 3 hours to the west in Charlotte, and Kings Dominion just 2.5 hours to the North in Richmond. Given that they are both owned by Cedar Fair, however, I could see the potential of Six Flags taking advantage of the ever increasing population of the Triangle area to get a little healthy competition going with Cedar Fair - but I just donā€™t know that Six Flags has the clout to truly compete with them at this point in the game. Especially when Carowinds has literally the best roller coaster I have ever ridden in my entire life with the Fury 325. Unless a new local Six Flags built something that was on par with that one, Iā€™d still choose to drive the 3 hours to go to Carowinds simply for the opportunity to ride the Fury a few times.

4 Likes

Best place, if any, for a Six Flags would be east Johnston County. Lotā€™s of cheaper land and access to a very growing economy of people that would love that type of thing. IMO :+1:

12 Likes

Preferably close to commuter rail.

7 Likes

Is there such thing as a hybrid Six-Flags? One that would include a water park? :fountain: :fountain: :fountain: :fountain: :fountain: :fountain:

1 Like

The one in upstate NY and the one 90 minutes away in Massachusetts each have water parks.

1 Like

Iā€™m not necessarily saying it is them, but pointing out that I made the suggestion and not long after, the piece of land that could not sell sold

Are you able to provide more info about which parcel it is, or where generally it is north of Durham?

GIS should be able to tell us who owns it if we had the lot address

1 Like

The address is 602 Quail Roost Farm Rd. It appears to have been bought by NCF INVESTMENTS, LLC. I cannot find much about the company other than it was founded 23 years ago. If it is Six Flags, itā€™s likely they worked a deal with an investment group for the site.

1 Like

Six flag should build on Six Forks Rd. It could be Six Flags over Six Forks.

4 Likes