Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

A prime example of this would be Karmanos moving the Whalers from Hartford to NC. Lackluster attendance in a more or less zero or minimal growth city at the time vs a fast-growing area with a lot of northern transplants.

1 Like

So Dundon (Hurricanes owner) just became chairman of the Alliance of American Football with an investment of $250m.

Raleigh expansion team downtown?!

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article226452965.html

4 Likes

I saw that and thought it was interesting. Though I donā€™t see the AAF being able to finance any new stadiums anytime soon.

Tom Dundon is Dallas, first and foremost. And there doesnā€™t seem to be a Dallas AAF team.

Dallas already has a football teamā€¦its called high school football

4 Likes

Itā€™s also called The Dallas Cowboys.

4 Likes

Oh, I know itā€™s a stretch. Just some wishful thinking on my part.

If I remember right I think the AAF teams have been selected for cities that mostly do not have an NFL team. I think there was a couple exceptions like Atlanta? Anyways this would be pretty cool. The AAF is getting quite a bit of attention. I wonder if that Sports Multiplex that has been mentioned a lot lately has anything to do with thisā€¦

1 Like

I wonder if the AAF can share a stadium with NCFC?
If PNC can go back and forth between hockey and bball, what would it take to go back and forth between football and soccer?

4 Likes

Absolutely they can and that would be great! - I am thinking Seahawks and Sounders in Seattle sharing CenturyLink field as a great example of an urban combined stadium

6 Likes

I wonder how many people on this forum remember the Carolina Cobras. I was in middle school and like the prime target audience but I could never get excited about minor league football.

People love the NFL and NCAA, but all the other football leagues are either sideshows or defunct.

2 Likes

Looks like the Carolina Cobras are an active National Arena League team. Maybe the name has been reprised from a time gone by?

Iā€™m old enough to remember the USFL. Still canā€™t believe Herschel Walker signed with the NJ Generals. I had forgotten about the Trump connection.

1 Like

Generals had Doug Flutie too.

1 Like

Who remembers this team?
I went to some games at Carter-Finley. The team was horrendous.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll be wearing my Skyhawks jersey to the meet up tonight.

Wow. Never heard of them.

Speaking of the meet up, I have a conflict. Hate to miss it.

Agreed, but I loved the LOGO :grin:

I remember going to see the Carolina Cobras play, I went onto their website, it looks like there are in Greensboro am I correct ?

Different team, same name.

I wish I could attend the meet up as well! Hopefully next time. Maybe a requirement at meetups can be to change community.dtr usernames to real names :sunglasses:

3 Likes