Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Just looked it up online, Yeah, they are in Greensboro now.

I never went to a game because they were so terrible. They always found a way to lose.

Check out the numbers on the Glass Pyramid in Memphis.

TLDR: It cost taxpayers $250 Million, was used from 1989 to 2004, sat empty for 10 years, then the city paid Bass Pro Shop $35 million to move in.

Dang

4 Likes

Yep, another arena built without a major tenant lined up! Once the Grizzlies got to town, the arena was already outdated.

2 Likes

“This is the Bass Pro Shops flagship store inside the Memphis Pyramid. It feels like the love child of Dolly Parton and I.M. Pei.”

That made me laugh in a sad way.

2 Likes

You’d be extremely hard-pressed to fit a NBA/NHL-sized arena (as opposed to a supporting/cultural center) on this patch of land, though. You would absolutely have to do some very extensive re-routing of McDowell and Western/MLK (which I would be totally fine with on the merits), and even then it would be an awfully tight squeeze. These things eat up a lot of land.

2 Likes

I’m hearing this is gaining more traction by the day. Gary Bettman was in town last night for the game as well. Those cones seem to outline something very specific.

4 Likes

What is gaining more traction?

Orange cones at Carter-Finley?

1 Like

They were talking about Raleigh hosting an outdoor hockey game at some point. I didn’t see anything other than the NHL officials were in town and they went to Carter Finley to see the facility. The orange cones represent the standard hockey rink on the field.

1 Like

Outdoor Hurricanes game at Carter-Finley. Not confirmed, but a big push. Dundon (Canes owner) wants it.

More info here. "“I’m not here to make an announcement today,” Bettman said. “But yes, we are taking it very seriously.”

3 Likes

Oh ok that’s cool. C’mon Dundon go in on plans for a AAF/NHL/MLS stadium :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

What if they plan this, and it turns out to be one of those 70 degree January days, and the ice won’t stay frozen?

2 Likes

There’s a video on the link I posted where the NHL commisioner goes into detail regarding that.
3:26 Mark of the video “We’ve played in all types of conditions in Los Angles during the day and at night it was in the 80’s”

It’s really determined by the cooling units and water systems under the rink.

That’s what I was thinking. Would be a great idea about - except the part about a Raleigh winter being very inconsistent.

I heard the sports talk guys on the radio yesterday discussing this. They had one in LA and it was in the 80’s. Do it in the evening or night with no sunlight and the technology is there. Snow and heavy rain are bigger concerns than relatively warm temps.

I think it is cool. Obviously not all the time, but as a one-off or occasional thing, i would be interested in going. (I usually attend one or two canes games a year)

1 Like

Temp doesn’t really impact the ice believe it or not. The bigger issue is humidity, direct sunlight and rain. A night game at Carter Finley should be easy to pull off in the winter provided it ever stops raining. A day game like the Winter Classic could be a little more troublesome but the game would be a big event here and sell a lot of tickets. The NHL really doesn’t care about the ice conditions or player safety as evidenced by the most recent Stadium Series game on Saturday.

It could actually snow and ice our roads. Then no one will actually be able to get to the game. :rofl::joy:

1 Like

Charlotte is in the process of rebooting their MLS push and supposedly their plan is to host home games in Panthers stadium. If Malik and co. don’t have the private funds to pay for a stadium and the $380 million from the state is a major hold up, why not look into using Carter-Finely for home games? Put a quarter of that state revenue into finishing the CF up-fit that started years ago.

The canes, MLS team, NC State football and basketball could have their major stadium facility and wouldnt need to build anything new.

Just before every home game partner up with bars around Moore Square area, have drink specials there and then have busses that run straight from downtown to the PNC/CF to activate the downtown crowd.

Save that $380 million from the city for a project tha twill provide way more return on investment.

1 Like