Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

What if the hurricanes are building a new arena on site for an AHL team :exploding_head:

Raleigh will be a host city for the first and second rounds of the 2025 NCAA basketball tournament.

24 Likes

IF somehow they can get rail or rapid bus transit figured out to the PNC Arena area, a MLB stadium there is growing on me.

Phase 1: very few lost surface parking, 5 new parking decks, two 20-story residential towers, 1 hotel, new entertainment hub and fan plaza. Adds all parking needed that will be lost from future phases.
Phase 2: 38,000 seat MLB stadium, expansion of entertainment hub and 2 more plazas, four more residential towers, 2 office towers, 1 hotel, 1 hotel/condo tower combo, and creek restoration and boardwalk style greenway connections
Phase 3: long term space if demand is there for more development or keep as surface parking and tailgating culture

27 Likes

As I work across EM Road in Wade Park, this would be amazing IMHO!! But you are dead on about needing to tie in a BRT/transit connection to this complex. AND the proximity of this area to I-40/440/Wade Ave, would make it more attractive to draw folks in from the western part of the Triangle (maybe even Triad). Tho I’m not a big sports fan (I still 100% root for the Raleigh teams), I am really hopeful for a MLB expansion in the next decade.

13 Likes

Our very own Philly style sports complex. I’d be down with it, since there’s no chance in hell that the Hurricanes/PNC Arena move downtown anytime in the next 50 years lol - and especially since I really don’t have much hope (nor desire) to see “Downtown South” as it’s been proposed.

1 Like

I’ve been saying all along that a Western BRT split at Blue Ridge Rd with a stop at this Sporting District before continuing onto RDU makes a ton of sense. Most of the route is already covered by work that is confirmed to be completed. It ties into downtown Raleigh, NC State, AND RDU (and the rest of BRT).

Edit to say: Not to mention it connects the Fairgrounds. We solve for a lot of gaps in connecting our biggest destinations with this.

16 Likes

Yes definitely in fact that could be the Airport BRT and still tie our biggest destinations. It’s 2 birds in one stone. Maybe there some funding that can cover it with MLB, NHL the canes and the fair that will be one busy route. TOD there would boom so would hotels.

2 Likes

Maybe Blue Ridge → Trinity → and then starting after the Trinity bridge over 40, build 4.7 mi of two-lane roadway along the south edge of the I-40 shoulder separated by a Jersey barrier before joining up with Aviation Parkway.

Stops at:
Fairgrounds / Vet School
Stadium / Arena
Harrison Ave/ Umstead
Lake Crabtree
Airport
Brier Creek

9 Likes

Hmm seems to be a lot of moving parts with that one.

1 Like

Surprised no one posted that the Canes won their 1st playoff game vs NY!! 3-1!! Game 2 is tonight at PNC.

:hurricanes:

11 Likes

16 Likes

That was just insane.

2 Likes

As @UncleJesse and @John alluded to, check out this comeback by the Canes. For sure, INSANE!

16 Likes

I’m not a hockey guy but I gotta watch some of these playoffs games!!! I’ve read they’re the favorites to win it all this year. I’d love a Stanley Cup parade downtown.

10 Likes

Canes take game 3 on the road!
Up 3-0 now against NY!
https://x.com/Canes/status/1783680113864790354
#TakeWarning

19 Likes

I ran over to PNC arena during lunch and noticed 3 drill rigs in the parking area. Being a geologist, I was intrigued. I’m assuming they are doing some geotechnical work in advance of some of the coming upgrades and potential development (maybe??). They did not look like they were doing environmental work (which is what I do). Anyone have any intel?

4 Likes

Canes win in 4 games and closed out the first round at home! On to the other NY team for round 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals!

18 Likes

What Raleigh needs is a rugby team. Now that would be worth watching :+1::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

7 Likes

If Canes can take it all the way, would Rod Brind’Amour become the first person in the NHL to win a Stanley Cup both as player and as coach for the same team?

2 Likes