Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Ignore Ignore Ignore
Mute is not the trick…
Or, just wage a senseless protest as I have…

1 Like

Before you become a billionaire, you may want to work on your grasp of the English language.

11 Likes

Now, now children…

7 Likes

Why bro, my views are super-proggressive in pro Raleigh being a big city

I think the word “bro” is banned not just in this forum, but in the entire universe of forums. Anyway enough of this back and forth, we shall continue with the topic.

3 Likes

Well that’s ridiculous.

Can we class this up please?

11 Likes

I don’t think class is the problem, but I’ll accept your feedback and step back.

1 Like

Speaking of MLB: So, the Raleigh Capitals played their first season in 1913 at a new field (Raleigh League Park) situated at the corner of New Bern and Tarboro after using space at North Carolina A & M earlier in the year. Has anybody seen a pic of the field?

It was was just across the street from the Old Soldier’s Home. Here’s the Sanborn Map of the area from 1914…

(@Mark - This is your stomping grounds. Correct?)

9 Likes

I didn’t know about this location but I remember well attending many Raleigh Capitals games in 1959 at Deveraux Meadows on Capital Blvd . I was 11 years old & saw Carl Yas. play for Raleigh . Carl was
Carolina League Player Of The Year in 59 . Became a big star for The Boston Red Sox . The Atlantic League would be playing in Raleigh if it were not for JG . FACT ! And I’m not referring to the mileage rule . But at the same time , JG has done some really good things for our city , one of them was helping raise 3 million dollars for The Dix Project .

6 Likes

Jim Goodman did not own the Bulls when the rule was put into place. It was Miles Wolfe.

3 Likes

I know Alan . There is A Lot of history involved concerning this after Miles Woff .

My point is that the mileage rule was implemented before Jim Goodman owned the team. The mileage rule is the number one impediment to Raleigh having a team. Jim Goodman originally was going to move the Bulls to a stadium off of Page Road. But, Durham ponied up the money for the downtown stadium.

3 Likes

@nipper.dwight

It was news to me as well about the history of League Park. Here’s some trivia I gleaned…

League Park

New Bern (HP) Avenue between S. Tarboro (RF) & S. Pettigrew (LF).
Capacity: 2,500 (1914); 4,500 (1932)
E. Hargett Street ran along the southern edge of the ball ground. The catcher faced south. The park was enclosed by an 8-foot board fence. The grandstand included box seats directly behind home; the boxes were flanked by the dugouts. There was a small bleacher section down the 3B line, and a larger section down the 1B line. A small grandstand sat in RF.
Used by: Raleigh Capitals, Raleigh Nats, Raleigh Red Birds

Following are the minor league baseball teams known to have played at League Park:

Year Team League W L Attend Avg.
1932 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 65 71 Roster Stats
1931 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 86 50 Roster Stats
1930 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 68 72 Roster Stats
1928 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 56 74 Roster Stats
1927 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 77 70 Roster Stats
1926 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 57 86 Roster Stats
1925 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 57 69 Roster Stats
1924 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 45 77 Roster Stats
1923 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 57 67 Roster Stats
1922 Raleigh Capitals Piedmont League 60 66 Roster Stats
1921 Raleigh Red Birds Piedmont League 68 52 Roster Stats
1920 Raleigh Nats Piedmont League 67 53 Roster Stats
1917 Raleigh Capitals North Carolina State League 8 20 8,200 586 Roster Stats
1916 Raleigh Capitals North Carolina State League 39 71 Roster Stats
1915 Raleigh Capitals North Carolina State League 63 57 Roster Stats
1914 Raleigh Capitals North Carolina State League 52 68 Roster Stats
1913 Raleigh Capitals North Carolina State League 60 53 51,598 913 Roster Stats

Attendance listed indicates the total home attendance for the team even if it played in multiple home ballparks or additional cities in the same year.

Average attendance is based on half the team’s total games being played at home.

5 Likes

You are right Alan . I was also told this info. Mr. Goodmon wanted to build in The RDU Airport area , name the team Raleigh-Durham . Years before that , I’m not sure if it was Miles Wolfe or Mr. Goodmon , but one of them would not let Steve Bryant put The Mudcats in downtown Raleigh , so then Steve Bryant would not let Mr. Goodmon build in The RDU Airport area . But in the last 8 years some things have taken place concerning Raleigh baseball that I can not share . Wish I could share . Currently Miles Wolfe owns both Independent baseball & afficated minor league team .

1 Like

@nipper.dwight

And, here’s a comparable facility from the same era at Latta Park in Charlotte.

Charlotte Latta Park

From: ‘North Carolina State Professional League of 1902.’ The North Carolina Historical Review - Vol. 64, No. 3 (JULY 1987), pp. 247-273 (27 pages)

8 Likes

Having no insider information whatsoever, I’ll trust you about the last eight years.
It was Miles Wolfe that stopped Steve Bryant. And then Bryant stopped Goodman.

1 Like

You are so right Alan . Thanks ! You would not believe how close Raleigh came to get a Atlantic League Team in 2013 & then again in app. 2015 / 2016 . Being this close Alan , it was a real heartbreaker for me .

1 Like

There were numerous ballparks like this all around eastern NC in the early half of the 1900s. Some are still standing - Kinston, Greenville, Edenton, and Wilson. Rocky Mount (torn down), Tarboro and Roanoke Rapids (destroyed by Hazel) also had parks and minor league teams.

5 Likes

Burlington’s Park kind of has that type of appeal currently , 3,500 seats . I love minor league & college baseball !

2 Likes