Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

Fingers crossed for new stadium 2030. Dundon looks ready to move the Canes out of town if he has to deal the location forever.

EDIT: City Council notes now available:

“SECTION 1. New Funding Commitment.
a. In addition to the funds previously committed to the Centennial Authority under
earlier amendments to the Tri-Party Agreement, the County and City will make available to the
Centennial Authority from previously uncommitted proceeds of the Room Occupancy and Food
and Beverage Taxes to be collected beginning in fiscal year 2021 and ending in fiscal year 2029
the annual sum of Nine Million ($9,000,000.00) Dollars to provide for long term capital
enhancements, improvements, extraordinary repairs and replacements to, as well as maintenance
and operation of, the Arena and Parking Areas (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Authorized
Uses of the New Funding Commitment”). During this period, the Parties shall jointly review the
physical condition of the Arena and the status of the Authority leases with building tenants to
inform a decision by the County Board and the City Council on whether future funding should be
applied to the existing facility and grounds or to partially fund a replacement Arena. As stated in
the 22nd Amendment, funding identified as “Reserved for Future Sports/Entertainment Facility
Capacity” for the period FY30 through FY2045 is to provide for future capital needs of the current
Arena or a similar sports and entertainment facility. The “Reserved for Future
Sports/Entertainment Facility Capacity” funding amounts in the 22nd Amendment are for planning
purposes only and are not binding funding commitments for the Authority (PNC Arena) or any
other entity. Future amendments for the Prepared Food and Beverage Tax and Room Occupancy
Tax as approved by Wake County Commission and Raleigh City Council will determine the future
allocation amounts and timing for the planned funding amounts listed in the “Reserved for Future
Sports/Entertainment Facility Capacity.”

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Downtown South development

Gary Bettman, Commissioner of NHL (as part of sale to Dundon) says the team is to stay in Raleigh. This is pretty much old news at this point.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article44283009.html&ved=2ahUKEwjqhq_XuuTsAhVDKqwKHY1fDxEQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1odqZhx_ifIrJL51PC51e3&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18576310/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-shuts-carolina-hurricanes-relocation-talk&ved=2ahUKEwjqhq_XuuTsAhVDKqwKHY1fDxEQFjACegQIDRAB&usg=AOvVaw2wH37hMSU0ZV5_okbVCCEl

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-enter-into-purchase-agreement-will-not-relocate/c-293781978&ved=2ahUKEwjCgsLkvOTsAhUSWK0KHVgnCEwQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3KDRjMeCw1x3KAhG9dxPtm

8 Likes

I don’t want to hijack this discussion into MLB expansion any further, but I will say that MLB Raleigh isn’t exactly getting laughed out of the room in the national media when they discuss this market as viable for an MLB franchise. The response they DO get is this, paraphrasing: MLB should expand to the Carolinas, and it makes the most sense for them to do it in Charlotte as the population is larger and the corporate base is WAY larger. That said, the Triangle would absolutely be a viable market in its own right if not for Charlotte right “next door” in terms of how major league franchises are spaced.

BUT going back to Downtown South, Kane should apply for the PDP, if possible. It’s not as stringent as he thinks.

7 Likes

I don’t think any of you understand the possibilities Raleigh can make a bid for an MLB team or MLS team Get the City chamber to get a man investors bid for a major league team and retrofit the stadium as Malik said it could be retrofitted!!! This enables the RNC or DNC to be possible in 2024!!! This enables more corporate job headed here!!! This enables so much!!! The future is bright!!!

Maybe Sports City or Raleigh-Gathering!!!

Hypothetical: Fast forward 5 years from now when Dundon has to begin making long-term decisions about the Hurricanes (whether to keep the franchise here, develop current location or explore downtown options) and construction hopefully is well underway for DS; if he chooses to explore downtown, I can see DS maybe expand across the street where the flowserve building stands creating an opportunity for better connection to Dix Park and farmers market. Any thoughts?

https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article243050091.html

8 Likes

This situation reminds me a lot of Dearborn Park, the big redevelopment of rail yards just south of Chicago’s Loop. From the 1970s, there were blockbuster “New Town in Town” plans for huge towers, football stadiums, etc. Adjacent vulnerable neighborhoods were worried about the impact, and particularly about displacement. In the 1980s and 1990s, something rather more modest was built. Lois Willie wrote an in-depth book about its development: Google Books

In the long run, Dearborn Park just about broke even, but it proved that there was a market for downtown housing – and now it’s an island of low-rise houses amidst a forest of tall towers. It’s impossible to prove, but its construction might have forestalled gentrification further out; in the conclusion, Wim Wiewel, dean of UIC’s urban planning program, says: “Chicago was fortunate to have a lot of vacant land close to downtown to accommodate housing. The [gentrification] pressures might have been stronger if that had still been railroad land.”

(btw, originally posted in DTS thread, stadium was super-tangential and never got any serious consideration)

7 Likes

With Bandwidth HQ going at Reedy Creek & Edwards Mill I envision the Blue Ridge Area to have more hotels and restaurants to support PNC if the state would let some land go. Cooper stopped the sell of old rex at wade/st marys st. He also stopped the sell of some state land at Blue Ridge & Reedy Creek. The land across from District Drive at Blue Ridge (on museum of art land) could have had area carved out for hotel & restaurants to support PNC & art museum. we will see.

1 Like

Dundon has publicly stated he would prefer an arena downtown. This is what he wants from the sources I have spoken to.

The bigger risk is his trying to move the team but I was told recently some of the Epic games founders are interested in purchasing the team.

current PNC arena sucks period. great building. terrible location

12 Likes

Agree. PNC Arena location is why we lack so many amenities in downtown at the moment including a great deal of hotels. Adding an arena nearby would spur better development in downtown Raleigh instead of just these budget sub-20-story parking pedestal ‘towers’.

7 Likes

With all the extra :money_mouth_face: :bank: :moneybag: :moneybag: :heavy_dollar_sign:that Wake county just approved for the Arena Authority I would think that it is good to go for more many years to come…?
Also, if memory serves, isn’t the entire PNC arena parking pad/lot/block being re-thought for re-purpose? Including but not limited to hotels, parking decks, restaurants, etc.? And if so, I really couldn’t see them moving for 20 plus years or ever…IMO

1 Like

I know that I am getting old because it’s difficult to wrap my head around the fact that PNC is nearly 22 years old. It seems like yesterday that it was opened.
While I can imagine a new arena in a place like DT South, it would still end up being a car-oriented location; it’s just that they’d have an entertainment district to use pre/post game.
I’d much rather see a new arena go to the site that was originally proposed for the soccer stadium.

5 Likes

Or SmHo Phase 4/5/6(?) :slight_smile:

1 Like

With a quick reference from Google Maps, it doesn’t look like PNC would even fit on SmoHo 4 land. Not sure where a future phase of SmoHo would even be after phase 4.

Sorry for the crude markups… Just wishful thinking, but SH4 on the Wake County Services property, SH5 on the properties damaged by the Metropolitan fire, and SH6 where 440H has been languishing for years.

3 Likes

The 4 (IV) land is what is too small for PNC in its current form, and I can’t imagine a new arena being smaller than the current one.

3 Likes

Except for the fact Dundon has indicated he wants to be downtown. every city in America has been putting their stadiums and arenas downtown for the last decade…except Raleigh.

They are doing this because they see tangible ROI over planting these facilities in the burbs with giant parking lots.

Are there exceptions; sure but the majority are moving downtown.

I was just in Fayetteville the other day and you can see the material impact of putting their minor league baseball stadium downtown…not in a parking lot.

10 Likes