Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

And they are also making plans to put there basketball/Performimg arts center there in Downtown Fayetteville as well, Raleigh needs to get it in gear.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think 5 and 6 on your map qualify as SmoHo anymore.

1 Like

Nashville and Detroit arenas fit on the Wake GSA property.

3 Likes

To be fair, itā€™s been more than 30 years since Jim Valvano started the conversation about a new arena, and over 21 years since PNC was first occupied. So, the decisions around PNC havenā€™t been in the last decade. I have to believe that, had this been a last decade decision, a different outcome would have been the result. When I first purchased my Cotton Mill Condo in 1996, there were a lot of voices that said that I was crazy, including my parents. Thatā€™s how far DT has come since that time period.

6 Likes

Can you demonstrate that? Iā€™d love to see how they fit. If so, I am all for that sort of solution.

This idea using the Detroit arena dimensions and style of concourses integrated with surrounding buildings

20 Likes

Not to throw hot water on this, but this is the side by side of the site and the existing arena. I just donā€™t see how all of that fits.

4 Likes

Steeper stairs. Less seats maybe?

2 Likes

Build it partially underground/under the RR tracks? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Better yet, let it hover over the siteā€¦but the shadows!

5 Likes

Pretty rough measurements with google maps. Would be tight and have to get creative, but definitely donā€™t think the site is a deal-breaker.

8 Likes

okayā€¦so, the oval is just the ice and the seats, not the entire building. That makes sense. Clearly the concourses and amenities will require some creativity to work on that site.

2 Likes

Like the Quidditch World Cup stadium from Harry Potter?

8 Likes

Nah because we know the state doesnā€™t care about Raleigh that why we miss MLS in the first place!!!

1 Like

This Downtown South situation could be like Solider Field in Chicago, hold multiple professional sports teams. That why the MLB Raleigh folks are happy, that why the soccer folks are happy but letā€™s face it. When soccer game are here probably for 75k stadium, Iā€™ll probably be 25% capacity!!! So we gotta push MLB to Raleigh lure a billionaire investors with the City Chamber of Commerce makes a bid to bring MLB to talk to league officials about a team prime stadium as profesional ready just like NHL Hurricanes came here!!!

1 Like

They need to go ahead and get rid of that rail line by consolidating the rail lines that run on either of Capital to have them both run along the west side. Then there would be more room for the arena.

1 Like

That line is how they move out-of-service Piedmont trains to the rail yard next to Seaboard Station. I donā€™t imagine theyā€™ll be getting rid of it any time soon.

1 Like

That rail yard needs to go too. No reason for it to be right next to downtown, taking up prime real estate. Move that out into the country somewhere. Or consolidate with the other rail yard on the west side of capital.

4 Likes

Letā€™s round up some like-minded folks, grab some crowbars and shovels and go for a guerilla track relocation!

2 Likes

I think the newer arenas are probably designed to be more compact than PNC is. Thatā€™s my guess at least.

1 Like