Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

One of the Canes writers (Michael Smith) shared this on Twitter. Thought it was pretty interesting.

7 Likes

Basically not much has changed other than a slow but steady build up of offices or some minor changes to the campus.

3 Likes

Wade Park in the top left corner of the map has homes and restaurants. Trinity road has slowly been building up apartments as well (on the giant hill just within city limits).

1 Like

As someone who works in Wade Park, itā€™s a pretty good example of the problems that often arise from planned developments. Developers create parks like this with the hope of creating some kind of ā€œexperienceā€ thatā€™s still pretty car-oriented and is often physically set apart from the rest of the city (looking at you, Fenton). The restaurants here really arenā€™t even that greatā€¦ they pretty much only draw residents and employees of the park, plus gameday fans who want free parking and an early bite to eat.

Really wish the city hadnā€™t left the area around PNC in the hands of a few developers. It had so much potential. Look at how much of that open land was paved over for parking lots!

4 Likes

You definitely need to hear what @orulz has dreamed up for replacing these railyards and rationalizing the two rail lines along Capital. :star_struck:

5 Likes

You had me at mob with crowbars.

4 Likes

I just saw something in a conversation with NBA commissioner Adam Silver that brought up an interesting point. He mentioned that the league was warming up to the idea of expansion. He gave some generic responses as to why they are considering it, but if you read between the lines franchise fees will be a huge cash infusion. Iā€™m sure many leagues will be feeling the Covid crunch and begin more seriously considering expansion. I know the NBA arenā€™t on our radar here, but this could certainly speed up MLBā€™s and MLSā€™s timeline on expansion. Iā€™d be great with either league(or both) but whatever happens with DoSo, it would be foolish if they donā€™t engage either the leagues or potential new franchise owners.

10 Likes

Downtown South could be like a Solider field situation, that why MLB Raleigh folks were excited when the rezoning news said it was approved!!! Because this could easily become a baseball stadium!!! Cause if an billionaire owner has interest he could pay the fee, make a bid, present at MLB Headquarters in New York, he wouldnā€™t have to worry about stadium plans if he would use Downtown South, as a stadium the only thing in that situation is negotiating with Kane and Malik as the owners, to maybe become tenant just like the Centennial Authority with PNC Arena, and while it s under construction can modify the stadium to be baseball ready professional baseball, Major League Baseball ready and with no city funding, or rezoning process since the rezoning for the stadium has already been approved!!! (hopefully Malik will open his mind past soccer!!! Cause MLS just isnā€™t coming here!!!)

Merry Christmas Eve -
Letā€™s play a game :
Name 3 local billionaires.
Now, name a sport theyā€™re over the moon about.
Now, slot that square peg into the round holeā€¦
ā€œIā€™ll take the Pen Is Mightier for $600, Alexā€
:flushed:

3 Likes

Peter Karmanos had no ties to Carolina, but was attracted to the market. Tom Dundon had no ties to Carolina or even the game of hockey, but he bought a hockey team in Carolina. David Tepper had no ties to Carolina, but purchased a football team here. Thereā€™s billionaires sitting in major cities that want to own a sports team, their issue is there is teams in the cities they live in already. If they want one bad enough theyā€™ll find a city thatā€™s attractive enough to place a team and make their dream come true. Never say never. Maybe downtown south and incentives make it an attractive destination for a future owner to move a team here.

All that said, the chances are slim. But I wouldnā€™t rule it out at all.

10 Likes

Thank you @Deekay93 that was a great point that almost the point if not the point I was tryna explain!!! Before @NoRaAintAllBad smart comment Iā€™m not gonna play anymore of his silly little games, now Merry Christmas!!!

2 Likes

perhaps this position of the arena in this post

could be moved with some higher elevation to right over the RR tracks so they tunnel below the seating area. Just a thought. Gives plenty of room.
hereā€™s the pic from the post Iā€™m replying to, so you donā€™t have to go find it

4 Likes

There is a development proposed there called Salisbury square

5 Likes

Still think they should straighten Salisbury street to allow for the DECPA to expand in the future (Shaw moving their buildings to a new location). Once you build a 20-story tower strapping the curve on the road thatā€™s it.

if a soccer only stadium is built without MLS guarantee i guess the plan is that it will host numerous soccer events? ncaa, high school championshipsā€¦other amateur leagues?

2 Likes

Downtown South Project Gets Rezoning, Could Reshape Raleigh. in looking at the area in the above link is it only houses in caraleigh that would be gobbled up? it appeared to me that the A and B sections only bordered some residential areas.

1 Like

Yep and can be retrofitted for Major League Baseball if we get a billionaire and the chamber of commerce and the City makes a bid, and he does a situation like the Centennial Authority like PNC to become a tenant in Downtown South and agree to retrofit it for Major League Baseball standards!!!

2 Likes

ā€¦or she

:woman_office_worker:t4:
:woman:t3:
:woman_scientist:t2:

5 Likes

Yea that too!!! Iā€™m not saying anyone couldnā€™t do it!!!

1 Like

I feel such a love/hate for this project. Love the potential plan around this project, could be amazing once a few of the buildings go up. But hate that itā€™s not going to be a part of actual downtown. Slightly bums me that North Carolina could get another pro team someday and theyā€™ll end up in DoSo vs actual downtown.

4 Likes