Downtown South development

Here’s a free idea for anyone to steal or shoot down. The lots in the attached image are owned by the NC Educators Association and the Raleigh Chamber, directly downtown, with prime access to McDowell, MLK Blvd., and McDowell. The the area highlighted in yellow takes into account what I assume is a 100’ right-of-way held by the Railroad. The area highlighted in blue is the footprint of PNC.

Based on these highly scientific methods, PNC’s footprint is approximately 5.58 acres while the area in yellow contains approximately 6.72 acres. A propos of nothing, Bridgestone Arena in Nashville has a footprint of approximately 6 acres, while Capital One in DC has a footprint of approximately 5 acres.

I imagine there would need to be significant changes to the site’s vehicular access, as well as access to the property on the other side of the tracks. But I think this is the only such spot available downtown. By my count, all other possible tracts within walking distance of downtown would require either closing a grid street or a deal with the state, federalis, or Shaw, each of which would require significant substitute facilities.

13 Likes