Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

Oh well guess that’s one of those urban legends. I’ve heard it many times that congress did not want any building to hide the dome.

1 Like

It’s very European in that sense. I agree that if I had to choose between one of the two, I’d rather have a DC-style city with more density than height, as opposed to something like Houston (lots of height with no street-level experience to speak of).

Back on topic, I think we’ll end up seeing the area around our Union Station look much like what’s around DC’s Union Station pretty soon, assuming all these projects come to fruition. Here’s what I’m talking about. The art wall obscures a lot of it, but mid-rise with a lot of density is what seems like the prevailing winds will give us (except for the extra height of RUS Bus).

4 Likes

It is my understanding that the height restriction in DC is based on the old post office tower. The requirement was for everyone to be able to see the clock. Thus the 130 feet limit.

Why not ask the Oracle…

3 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/21/gotriangle-selects-preferred-developer-for-major.html

“At a GoTriangle board meeting Wednesday, board members voted to authorize the agency’s interim president and CEO, Shelley Blake Curran, to begin negotiations with Hoffman & Associates, …”

Hoffman was chosen as one out of three developers. Supposedly Kane and Sandreuter the others. No detailed timeline at this point but negotiations with the preferred developer will follow suit and construction planned to begine “sometime next year, as required by terms in a $20 million federal BUILD grant”

I am excited Hoffman is chosen as they seem very well capitalized and able to execute ambitious projects in short time frames in the past

9 Likes

With such a short time frame to begin construction, I bet they break ground on this before Seaboard Station.

4 Likes

Far as I can tell Hoffman & Associates has only developed low rise projects. Sure hope they got tall on RUS if they get it.

Are there any renderings from their proposal?

Where’d you hear about Kane/Sandfreuter being the other two? Didn’t read that in this article, and I heard that Kane pulled out.

The article points to Perkins Eastman as architect. They do okay, occasionally good, work. Hoffman used them on The Wharf. Hopefully this ends up better than their norm.

There’s a handful of 13 and 14 story buildings on their website. Wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to go 20+ floors, especially with the 4, 5, or 6 level parking deck requested for by GoTriangle.

1 Like

From the RFQ submission but I realize that this might be dated information

They kind of have to go tall to justify adding AH units, hence the rezone request to begin with. So I’m anticipating something at LEAST 25 stories. I personally hope they go for 30+ and make this their signature project.

5 Likes

I don’t know…I see a fountain, string lights, and actual (not rendered) people… I don’t think any of that is allowed in Raleigh. :wink:

3 Likes

Those were the … unselected submissions? What about the one that was selected?

1 Like

Yeah, this is really dated. I don’t think these were the finalists being considered.

Is that their Seaboard development? Sounds more like Raleigh Crossing?

@mike thanks for the correction; that was for Seaboard Station project. I’ve removed it from this thread. Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place, but Virginia just announced a big $3.7B agreement to expand passenger rail between DC and Richmond. I only mention it because it opens the possibility of expanded service between DC and Raleigh, and the deal includes the purchase of the S corridor between Petersburg and Norlina. A big part of the deal is a new, all passenger rail bridge over the Potomac which will increase on-time performance and capacity dramatically and makes RUS a more appealing destination from DC. Tangential, I know, but thought it was worth sharing. https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/plus/virginia-has-billion-deal-to-expand-rail-service-between-richmond/article_460c07a4-84d1-5b0c-9c0f-6dd384d7aa7b.html

13 Likes

Yes, this is a very, very good thing for Raleigh rail service. Improved Richmond to Raleigh rail service will benefit both states and will make rail transit in North Carolina more robust.

Now we just have to make sure Raleigh is ready when that line gets redeveloped. We’re already going to replacing 3 at-grade crossings in North Raleigh next year that the yet-to-be planned-or-funded Raleigh to Richmond line will use.

Baby steps but they’re steps in the right direction.

11 Likes

Yup. I dropped it into another thread.

2 Likes