Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

kind of makes you wonder with history of 400H why they would even want to try this project. Maybe they the Fed money makes it work for them (easier financing?)

4 Likes

Exactly my thoughts. If you can’t get 400H off the ground in a 10 year bull market in burgeoning downtown Raleigh then you don’t qualify for RusBus

8 Likes

I believe those are actually building orientation options based on massing options 3A and 3B. Personally, I don’t want the buildings to be angled because it doesn’t fit the character of the Warehouse District.

I hope Kane gets it, because we know it will get built. I just hope it doesn’t get VE’ed from the current design if he does.

The big sign and (I think) waiting area facing the street are my favorite parts. I feel like RUS is kind of hidden at the moment.

1 Like

I was speaking to someone familiar with this today, and apparently neither of these schemes are current. Last he heard, Kane pulled out and it was down to other two developers. Akridge (working with Gensler) was one of them, and I can’t remember the other team.

3 Likes

Akridge is already working on one Union Station with this insane project. But doesn’t look like they’ve ever worked on large towers before. Would be interesting to see what they come up with.

http://www.akridge.com/property/21/100ColumbusCircleNE#description

4 Likes

Having been through Washington Union several times in my life, I know just how big that station yard is - and frankly decrepit particularly when you walk out of the nicely restored terminal. Just from the looks this is a crazy big project. I’ll click then link when I get home, thanks for it though @Francisco

1 Like

I posted about their proposal for Durham’s old Police HQ site in another thread. Not huge towers, but a complex of several midrises, and it’s a really strong proposal imo. That always has just as much to do with the design firm the developer partners with though.

5 Likes

I think that you could do a renovation of the original building and then encase that in glass. Kind of like how the Raleigh War Memorial was done…would look good, inho!

Looks like GoTriangle has been quietly making some progress with figuring out how to bring RUS Bus to life!

Full report here; RUS-related updates are on pages 16, 17, and 22.

12 Likes

The lack of commuter rail chatter has been disheartening.

I literally just made a post about commuter rail…

4 Likes

Yeah I was saying I felt dishearten by the lack of news about the commuter rail project until you posted this new info. It almost felt like the commuter rail fell out with the fallout of the light rail project. Now we know it has not been forgotten.

9 Likes

In case it takes a minute for others to put 2 and 2 together like it did for me – Hoffman & Associates is the group working to redevelop Seaboard Station (and behind The Wharf in DC)!

10 Likes

Hopefully their proposal wasn’t as short and stubby as the rest of their projects seem to be… in fact, this may be their first project where they don’t have as many forced limitations, so hopefully they go wild and take advantage of the allowed height!

6 Likes

I’m optimistic about Hoffman’s proposal. Even though it doesn’t have as much height The Wharf is a $2.5 billion project

1 Like

DC proper is limited to 130 feet by law. Hopefully this will be a nice tall structure that they can proudly display as center stage of their portfolio.

3 Likes

I am under impression the rule in DC is nothing above the rim of Capital Dome, not sure if covers complete district or just within some zone around it. But there are no high rise buildings in DC. Only building that receive exemption to that rule is Washington Cathedral. Drive down K street and it’s amazing how many floors you can squeeze in that height restriction if it’s worth the cost. Go up 16th street to Silver Spring and you can tell when you reach the DC line. There is a wall of tall buildings.

2 Likes

The Height of Buildings Act is not based on the height of the Capitol building, but on the width of the adjacent street + 20ft, with a cap at 130ft. That being said, D.C. feels super urban compared to some cities with taller buildings. The variation isn’t great, but the street level is. It’s definitely a city I hope Raleigh can somewhat replicate in that sense, and in historical preservation.

Outside of the actual District, Rosslyn and Alexandria and Arlington are building much taller. Tysons is building the tallest building in Virginia, at 600ft.

4 Likes