Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

5 Likes

Eleven, possibly 4. Maybe thirty-three. Real answer: no one knows.

2 Likes

Given that we learned in another topic that the state prevents the city governing appearance, If we didn’t have these two corners we’d likely have a cheap, horribly ugly building.

4 Likes

Looks like we had an escalator for Union Station dropped off beside the tracks on Cabarrus in the throws of darkness last night. :crazy_face:
IMG_1397

14 Likes

New article from the N&O today. It’s called Union West and should start construction next summer. 17 and 32 stories.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article268235777.html

Also, I don’t recall seeing this rendering before:

Edit: here is another rendering of the same angle, straight from Hoffman. Which one is it?

22 Likes

The newer rendering (the one you posted first) is the most up-to-date and reflects where the design currently stands.

6 Likes

Very interesting article with some good information and updates. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Well don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Shame about the ugly poorly screened parking deck a la the Dillon but at least it’s 32 stories (down from 35ish) and not shorter.

3 Likes

This might be a higher resolution image?

15 Likes

11 Likes

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the word UNION spelled out in the screening?

13 Likes

Is the deck screening spelling out Union west? Hard to make out.

9 Likes

Clearly we’re on the same page here lol

Your eyes be working. Mine aren’t, I didn’t even notice until you pointed out.

Yeah that’s what it says.

1 Like

Next summer :neutral_face:🫠.

……

1 Like

“The first apartments will be delivered in fall 2025 and the transit portion, the RUS Bus facility, will be complete in mid-2025. Union West is slated for full completion in the fall of 2026.”

I couldnt read the N&O article but TBJ put out a piece this morning. Exerpt is from them and was new info to me.

7 Likes

Man, this would be 10x better if they just pushed the massing of the tower back 10 feet or so; let the metal and brick base shine and the generic tower above just fade away. The three different façade treatments in plane with each other looks clumsy af and makes the decision to retain the brick base perplexing. It made much more sense when there was a glass reveal separating the brick from the addition above.

That said, this side facing the plaza looks like it could be a decently interesting experience.

14 Likes

Curious. When this project is finished is the GoRaleigh Station next to Moore Square staying? Or will that hub move over to Union West?

Also should we rename this thread Union West?

1 Like

GoRaleigh will remain as the local bus facility, and Union West will be GoTriangle’s regional bus facility.

But I could be wrong.

6 Likes