Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

This is so overdue. Not even being able to get a coffee in the station before catching a train was such a bummer (there was a little cart that set up shop pre-COVID, but I haven’t seen it since the pandemic hit). I was honestly starting to think we wouldn’t see those retail spaces fill in until the completion of RUS Bus.

Really hope they open early enough so folks can get something before the 6:30a Piedmont departure. Heirloom doesn’t open until 7:00a, so despite the convenience, that’s never been an option for the morning crowd.

9 Likes

The most action I’ve seen here in a couple weeks. New hole being dug and dump trucked out.

20 Likes

Probably installing a new toilet to replace the historic one they demo’ed.

3 Likes

Oh, I LOVE this idea. What a great use of this space. I can’t want to see what’s offered.

1 Like

A new parking lot with a bus loop.

1 Like

“B” is for Bus :bus: HaHaHaHa :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

13 Likes

Is this a new rendering?

1 Like

If RUSBUS is Union West, what and where will Union East be? :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’m only guessing here but I think it’s called RUSBUS West because it will be the bus terminal west of dt center. So, in your context, the existing Moore Square Station would be considered BUS East.

3 Likes

Have there been any renderings of how the busses will interact with the street/building?

1 Like

It’s called Union West because it is next to Union Station and also next to West St. So if we were to rename GoRaleigh station it would be something like Montague Hargett or Taz’s Wilmington or something. I think putting a bus station or something next to Transfer Co and calling it Transfer East would have some good spatial and symbolic symmetry.

5 Likes

Montague Hargett would be a much cooler name for the bus station, to be fair!

3 Likes

I don’t think Taz’s is the corporate sponsorship we’re looking for…

:hocho:

1 Like

They’ve gotten really good at moving dirt around here. Hopefully we see some foundation work or something soon.

25 Likes

They finally got their ASR back in for another review on the 22nd. Hopefully, this will be approved. Then they have to submit for the site permits based on the newer ASR and building permits. So, I don’t know how they are bridging the time gap. They have lost a lot of time submitting a new ASR.

17 Likes

Do you know how long the approval process usually takes?

Looks like the city’s review is supposed to be completed by 5/22?

6 Likes

They submitted this ASR last August and it is not approved yet. They already had an approved ASR so I don’t know what changed so much for this review to take this long. You can normally count on a minimum of three review rounds for an ASR. Some projects take several more. As you can see from above, this one is on its third round. Hopefully, this will be good.

11 Likes

Sorry, this is strictly an erosion control project now.

1 Like

Cool thanks for the insight!!