Rezoning at the Firestone lot

Today’s TBJ has a article that states the developer for the future hotel at 333 S. Dawson St . will request a 40 story rezoning . The old Firestone Store location .

14 Likes

Does this include the area that’s already fenced off or am I mixing up blocks?

2 Likes

I don’t believe that’s included. On either side of the Firestone property are two different proposed hotels. The Nash Hotel and I forget what the other one is. It’s in the forum somewhere. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

And I love to hear this!!! Does it say what the intended use of the building is? I’d assume at this point at least mixed use. Doubtful it would be all retail/commercial.

5 Likes

The Old Firestone Store Location . The Old Firestone Store Location .

2 Likes

Not where I can read this right now but I think this article is open to everyone .

2 Likes

Nice! I feel like that area has so much potential to fill the visual gap between The Warehouse district and Fayetteville St

6 Likes

Paywall

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/03/31/owner-seeks-40-story-rezoning-for-raleigh-site-nea.html

3 Likes

Not a ton of info…“Not sure if the applicant wants to rezone for resale or redevelop itself”…
References "multiple 40 story rezoning recently’"like the “parking lot near Marbles museum’” and the Creamery. #TypicalBidnessJournal stuff…

3 Likes

NICE! Such an ideal location for a tower of greater than 20 stories! It will fill that beige and grey zone when looking east at downtown.

6 Likes

Yeah probably not a real project in the works but we just need one 30+ tower in Raleigh to greatly enhance the skyline. This is increasing our chances of seeing such a tower.

6 Likes

One can imagine that the rezoning requests are going to come in strong in the next several months to hedge bets against this current council losing its power in the election cycle. If the current council loses power, all of their rezoning cases will better position developers for the next decade.

4 Likes

$10,000 says this firm will never build anything on the site. Winwood is a low end Hilton brand hotel “developer” out of Morrisville. They have NEVER developed a high end branded hotel which is what a high rise would require. If Summit or Winston had bought the site I would feel differently but Winwood is not who we want…

3 Likes

I think like Highwoods, it’s a value play. Rezone then sell.

8 Likes

That lot is on such a high elevation, that anything of that height would appear absolutely monstrous… I truly hope that not only the rezoning request will pass (I’m sure it will), but that they sell to a serious developer who will actually deliver a 30+ story mixed-use building. Even at the same exact height as PNC, it would likely appear to be the tallest in the city by a long shot from most angles!!!

14 Likes

True. Fayetteville St is 10 feet higher, but 30+ floors here would have so much more impact than say the 121 Fayetteville tower.

1 Like

Highwoods will actually develop something…because they have the finances to do so. May not be as fast as we would like but they are a publicly traded REIT a can’t just build something on spec without having to explain that to shareholders

I walk by this lot pretty often and it is a nice plot with prime location. I was kind of hoping that someone would repurpose the garage and turn it into a brewery with a bunch of indoor/outdoor seating, would be great since redhat is just one block over. It’s also nice having some buildings in the area that have some character to them but a tall building here would defiantly help build up DTR density past Fayetville St.

12 Likes

Welcome Friend ! I sure hope that Raleigh’s future will see both a true skyscraper here & a Class A Sports
Stadium in Downtown South .

9 Likes

I forgot this thread existed. Here are a couple of applicable posts:

3 Likes