Rezoning at the Firestone lot

7 Likes

Ooooooo yes this one is a NO BRAINER and I am excited and optimistic it will pass

4 Likes

Taking notes during the neighborhood meeting and will update as I get content to update…

• Prohibited are: dorm, frat, sorority, adult establishment, pawnshop, vehicle fuel sales, detention center, jail, prison
  • Property is .82 acres
  • Current owner looking for flexibility other than the previously planned hotel
  • No particular project planned at the moment
  • Current owner is local

So, nothing particularly exciting or earth shattering that we didn’t already know. Meeting is basically over, but these neighborhood meetings have to be open for a minimum of 2 hours. Not a bad gig for the property atty getting paid by the hour. LOL

7 Likes

Damn, no rooftop strip club?!?

Yeah, but there’s no restriction against satan worshiping and human sacrifice. :rofl:

5 Likes

Dang; I was hoping for a MGM resort lol!:slot_machine:

3 Likes

Pretty sure human sacrifice is automatically banned. Pretty much frowned upon no matter the zoning.

Maybe this is news to me, but the Indy is reporting the developer who owns the former Firestone lot is looking to add 500 residential units, named RALDT 2, LLC?

“This project, a block from Nash Square, is currently a Firestone auto shop in an area zoned for up to 20 stories. The new tower will be zoned up to 40 stories with a mix of uses, including up to nearly 500 residential units, which the developer RALDT 2, LLC notes in the application is “likely to slow the rate of increase of housing costs nearby by adding units to the marketplace to meet the steady rising demand. The city’s Planning Commission is expected to vote on the project by the end of summer.”

19 Likes

Developer of the Firestone lot is still Winwood Hospitality Group, right? Can’t imagine them doing anything but hotel. And cant imagine too much height from them. Even their proposed 12-story Courtyard Marriot by the convention center seemed like the upper extent of their portfolio?

The county has RALDT 2 LLC listed under the owner of the property since 2018.

I decided to look back at the most recent Planning Commission meeting on June 22 and was able to find the rezoning application requesting a change from 20 stories to 40.

PC6-22-21.pdf (1.5 MB)

6 Likes

Lot of good info on building heights in that article for the uninitiated. Next time the writer can just come talk to us dorks!

3 Likes

What’s the real benefit of rezoning a lot from 20 to 40 stories if they’re not planning to build anything that tall? is it to make it more valuable for a flip? Or to provide other options, even when an approved plan is in place?

This is what’s happening for the Nash Square Hotel lot as well — the owners want it rezoned to 40. maybe 40 stories is the in things nowadays?

1 Like

I think 40 stories is just the next category, goes from 20 story zoning to 40.

2 Likes

@Drew , @mike, Winwood Hospitality Group and RALDT 2 LLC are separate entities, but the president of both is Amit Patel.

1 Like

Right, not uncommon to setup individual companies for different projects. Still hard to imagine anything significant being built from them. Let’s see if they can pull off the Courtyard Marriott by Red Hat Amphitheater first.

2 Likes

CarnifeX is right, the zoning currently is either ≤ 20 stories or ≤ 40 stories. A 30 story option has been discussed by City Council. The purpose of submitting a rezoning request without the intention to imminently build is for future flexibility. I see two main advantages: the owner wants to build later and wants to get it approved now in case the City Council makeup changes and is less amenable to upzoning, or the owner wants to sell (now or later), and that added flexibility built in will be a positive selling point for the potential buyer.

5 Likes

This is what I think is going on in the market. Upzone now to position the market for the next decade o growth.

6 Likes

Had a thought awhile back that this site could be used next summer for an outdoor bar and putt putt course - or longer if the redevelopment is delayed. Sent it to the owner… [crickets].

Feel like it woulda been a cool ‘all ages’ entertainment option that Raleigh kinda misses
:man_shrugging:

13 Likes

“Thanks Mike. We absolutely love your idea! But how does a paid parking lot sound instead?!”

11 Likes

From “the wire”:

2021-24
Engagement Portal Link
Plan URL: http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=C3ZU867981EB

6 Likes