Show Off Things From Other Cities

Took a photo of this in Durham from the Piedmont.

26 Likes

My friend was posting photos from this place on his work trip to Birmingham. What a great city led project, adds some amazing amenities for the city. I know we don’t have any overpasses like this, but I’d love to see Raleigh do an amenity loaded project like this someday.

Here’s some photos I found on Google

19 Likes

21 Likes

Needs more hobos for character. #authenticunderpassesonly

It is a pretty cool project! I’ll be there next week and take some pictures. It was basically an olive branch from the DOT to the City / community when the overpass was replaced a few years back. Most people wanted the overpass moved out of town, but there wasn’t the money (or willpower) to do that. So this park was the compromise - I don’t think the City of Birmingham paid for anything.

1 Like

Visited “Extra Large Charlotte” recently and saw a bunch of stuff in town

more and higher quality here - https://imgur.com/a/K0Fw6Mo

15 Likes

Was over in Belmont today, one of the nicest small towns outside of Charlotte. This was a thriving mill town in the first half of the 20th century, home to more than 4,000 residents and almost 20 mills by 1930. Much of the former Sacred Heart College campus remains at the north edge of downtown, and about a mile north of that is Belmont Abbey College. There is a basilica on campus, which upon its completion was the largest Catholic church in NC. About ten minutes south of town is the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens, the project of a former textile executive whose family ran many of the mills over Belmont’s history. The town grew to over 5,000 by 1950, but many of the mills began closing and the town languished for the next several decades. It quietly started growing again around the turn of the century, and as its downtown began to wake up, Belmont seemingly came out of nowhere to become what is now one of the most desirable small towns near Charlotte. Several of the larger mill buildings are visible from satellite view just outside of downtown.

10 Likes

when a rare rainstorm would occur in reno, nv I did duck under us 395 to stay dry…also there transit parking facility was partially underneath the highway bridge. https://maps.app.goo.gl/VnNKRki9NRGKCPDe6

1 Like

Viaducts don’t have to be ugly! Imagine this but with some elevated rail transit…

1 Like

OKC City Council approved the Legends Building application for “unlimited height.” Just imagine!! lol.

" In March, the owner of Matteson Capital Scot Matteson told a local newspaper that “the entire project” had been financed already, and that construction could begin as early as June."
June was too optimistic. Looks like they plan to get started this fall.

For more info and additional links:

3 Likes

Don’t know much about OKC, but who is financing this? Oil money?

OKC seems like an odd place to have the tallest building in the USA. Land there cannot be that expensive to justify building that high from a financial standpoint.

1 Like

This is just as bad as the Prosper, TX police department obtaining a nearly $700K military grade multipurpose vehicle.
It’s all about vanity.

1 Like

That’s so much fun, I love it. Hopefully it goads NYC developers to build an even taller one.

2 Likes

The supertall is never getting built. In fact, they’re not even actually planning to. Mark my words, it was all a ploy for advertising. The shorter towers are really what they’re planning to build, that will be it.

Possibly @Jake it does all seem a bit far-fetched. But, at least from the article, the developer is arguing that people are ready to get out or have been priced out of the metropolises (as he called them). They want city life-style with less density and cheaper cost. In that case OKC and this tower will be for you.
But again, I am super dubious.

1 Like

pick one. here are some extra characters in the meantime.

1 Like

Let me guess. They also want better city services with lower taxes to go along with their less density. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

well there are fewer people to worry about, duh!

Durham’s Northgate Mall redevelopment plans looks really bad. It’s just under 2 miles from downtown Durham and could have been a mini-North Hills or Downtown South for Durham. Instead looks like a generic strip mall.

7 Likes

So this looks like… a mall LMAO. What the hell is even the point if they’re not going to densify???

2 Likes