Show Off Things From Other Cities

To make it a nicer mall?

1 Like

Malls are dying. This mall is/was dead. What in THEE hell would be the point in trying to make it a “nicer mall” when the money could be spent making it more akin to North Hills - a shopping center with dense, tall buildings including housing, hotel, and services. This looks like maybe it includes one basic 5-over-1 apartment building. The rest look like giant big box dept store buildings that maybe are being broken up into more of a plaza type shopping center. It’s almost like they’ve learned nothing.

2 Likes

55 acres but only 72 units of housing. It’s the opposite of density.

3 Likes

Complete garbage. I’d rather have a dead mall.

If only there were some of those out there. I’ll try to find you one…

3 Likes

Holy crap that would be such a missed opportunity. I seem to remember a much more aggressive proposal a few years back for Northgate. Seemed like it called for much more density with several hundred housing units and a lot of lab/research space. Pretty sure that was pre-Covid though which I’m sure killed it off.

2 Likes

I would NIMBY all over this MFer. No way.

2 Likes

It’s cool arguing with the 70yos who bought into that neighborhood for 10k and are sitting pretty now, who opposed all higher density proposals in the neighborhood before this.

Really is bringing out my best character. Hope their grandkids never visit them.

4 Likes

We always hear the narrative about Durham’s urban credentials, but the city’s density isn’t all that.

Durham has a killer core 8-10 blocks and that’s about the extent of it right now.

3 Likes

Is that the gun violence zone? :gun:
(Sorry, too soon…)

The population density of Roanoke, Virginia’s metro area is 2,300/sq mi, based on 2022 Census data. The city of Roanoke itself has a land area of 42.5 square miles. In 2020, Roanoke’s population was 100,011, making it the most populated city in Virginia west of Richmond. new cancer center, city symphony, sushi, bus transit, gourmet burgers and known chains…hiking nearby. population almost flat for 30 years, growing slightly lately. depends I guess.

Durham has some cool neighborhoods scattered around outside of its downtown. Rockwood, Lakewood, West End, Broad St, and then the big one Ninth St–which is the only part of the city getting vaguely urban infill outside of downtown. Outside of downtown the dense infill has been a slow drip, and NIMBYs are very protective of their neighborhoods (as they are in Raleigh).

2 Likes

This is the result of too much process, public input, and community stakeholders. Utter trash.

Build apartments in the parking lots and renovate the old mall structure for live/work spaces and retail

5 Likes

I’ve always equated 9th Street’s relationship to downtown Durham to Hillsborough Street’s relationship (the NC State campus part) to downtown Raleigh. They are both really close to downtown but not quite part of it.

5 Likes