Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Seeing how large the footprint is for the office building, I’m wondering how tight or how gracious the promenade between the building is going to be and how it’s going to feel.

Actually the angle of the camera makes the footprint of the office building appear like it’s taking more of the space than it really is. Maybe this view helps?

9 Likes

Thanks. I guess that I’ll have to see the footings for the other building to get a clearer picture of it. As it stands, the office building still appears to take up about have the width of the parcel.

This rendering agrees with that…but note the open space above the outside posts.

5 Likes

Can should build a 20-30 story building beside phase 2, where that older building is.

1 Like

Might is that building belongs to Wake County’s general services complex at 401 Capital Blvd.

My guess is we’re seeing the base for the crane being framed up. Guess it could be elevator/stairs but I’m voting crane base.

6 Likes

Silly me. I thought that those were porta potties.
LOL :rofl:

1 Like

I’m not an expert, but my prediction is that this building will not have a fixed crane during construction. I predict a portable crane. If memory serves me correctly, this is a steel framed building at nine stories. A couple of portable cranes :building_construction: would provide more capacity (throughput) at a lower cost than a fixed crane. Time will tell.

3 Likes

It’s definitely steel construction so maybe you’re right, in which case @John may be on to something with his porta-pottie-gate theory.

Either way, that “shit’s” going up!

2 Likes

Here a few photos that I took last Monday. I will say that I much prefer the way that the balconies are being integrated into this building than in many other more recent projects. (see the 5th photo).

12 Likes

You are killing it today @John, none of the usual crap. :wink:

2 Likes

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

^the usual crap.

2 Likes

It’s always fascinating to me how these foundations start. Here’s a pano taken 3 minutes ago. This is what will be the corner of the parking deck for Phase II.

6 Likes

Hope they have some good pumps!

1 Like

I’m super excited that this is rolling along quickly. If we are going to have a recession next year, I want this thing too far along to stop or change directions.

6 Likes

While I can’t tell how far it will go up, at least part of the parking deck on SmoHo Phase 1 is being clad in dark brick like much of the main bldg. Note around the entrance of the deck.

Bonus view…phase 2 continues to rise.

9 Likes

Dammit @R-Dub! I woke up, took this shot then came to the forum post it and saw you did the same thing! :joy: Posting mine anyways. I think they’re building little castles.

6 Likes

Put a mural on that ramp over on phase 1. “SmoHo” in graffiti letters is my proposal!

4 Likes