Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Context of a proposed “up to” 40 floors is very different in Smoky Hollow. IMO, the comparison to North Hills’ Harris Teeter/Apt. building has problems because the Peace building is ~twice as tall. Also, the West condo building anchors the south end of the project and it’s 190 feet tall and its site is some 40 feet higher in elevation than the phase 3 site. As currently zoned, phase 3 would visually top out 100 feet lower than West (as does phase 1). If phase 3 topped out at the same height above sea level as West, it would need to be in the 250’ category.
What we don’t know is if Kane has any interest in actually maximizing the 500’. I would be surprised if he did. We know that he will have to have several floors of parking, and those would likely be around 9 feet slab to slab. We also know that he wants first floor retail along with residences and hotel rooms. If we gave him 15 feet floor to slab for the ground floor, 6 levels of parking at 9 feet, slab to slab, and 30 floors of residential and hotel at 9.5 feet slab to slab, that only gets it to just over 350 feet. If that were the case, then the top of phase 3 would be 100’ visually taller than West, or the same difference that currently exists between phase 1 and West. That seems visually reasonable to me. Even so, I don’t think a taller building than that would bother me.

5 Likes

First of all, I have a shiny new user name that I wanted to brag about! Thanks, @dtraleigh!!

Also, here’s another angle of the start of the parking garage.

14 Likes

Yeah, the new name isn’t quite as xtreme. :wink:

4 Likes

This was also the phase that began construction in the depths of the great recession. Maybe they VE’d some stuff as a result. But it is also a very complicated project, including both a bowling alley and the two-level grocery store.

1 Like

Two large cranes getting in position. I suspect the large beams for the rest of the new bridge will be in place before the end of the weekend.

Edit: The beams are arriving now.

2nd Edit: Five beams were installed overnight.

9 Likes

Also says the North bound ramp onto Capital from Peace will close Tuesday morning for 3 months.
Still says they plan on completion in fall.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article232787607.html

2 Likes

That ramp should have been closed already. It was nearly impossible for people to merge off it during rush hour the way they had it approach after the new spans went in. I was really shocked that I never saw a wreck there.

2 Likes

Progress on Phase II.

You can start to see the footprint of what will be the parking deck for “The Line” residents and the commercial mid rise.

Note the rock along side the foundation framing that had to be chiseled away.

The footprint of the commercial mid rise is taking shape!

12 Likes

Here’s an attempt at getting a 180 pano close up to the parking deck foundation work but they’re too big for the file size max so you’re gonna have to go to my Google Photo link to see it in full resolution.

:point_down:t3:
Google Photos

2 Likes

Seeing how large the footprint is for the office building, I’m wondering how tight or how gracious the promenade between the building is going to be and how it’s going to feel.

Actually the angle of the camera makes the footprint of the office building appear like it’s taking more of the space than it really is. Maybe this view helps?

9 Likes

Thanks. I guess that I’ll have to see the footings for the other building to get a clearer picture of it. As it stands, the office building still appears to take up about have the width of the parcel.

This rendering agrees with that…but note the open space above the outside posts.

5 Likes

Can should build a 20-30 story building beside phase 2, where that older building is.

1 Like

Might is that building belongs to Wake County’s general services complex at 401 Capital Blvd.

My guess is we’re seeing the base for the crane being framed up. Guess it could be elevator/stairs but I’m voting crane base.

6 Likes

Silly me. I thought that those were porta potties.
LOL :rofl:

1 Like

I’m not an expert, but my prediction is that this building will not have a fixed crane during construction. I predict a portable crane. If memory serves me correctly, this is a steel framed building at nine stories. A couple of portable cranes :building_construction: would provide more capacity (throughput) at a lower cost than a fixed crane. Time will tell.

3 Likes

It’s definitely steel construction so maybe you’re right, in which case @John may be on to something with his porta-pottie-gate theory.

Either way, that “shit’s” going up!

2 Likes