Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Here a few photos that I took last Monday. I will say that I much prefer the way that the balconies are being integrated into this building than in many other more recent projects. (see the 5th photo).

12 Likes

You are killing it today @John, none of the usual crap. :wink:

2 Likes

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

^the usual crap.

2 Likes

It’s always fascinating to me how these foundations start. Here’s a pano taken 3 minutes ago. This is what will be the corner of the parking deck for Phase II.

6 Likes

Hope they have some good pumps!

1 Like

I’m super excited that this is rolling along quickly. If we are going to have a recession next year, I want this thing too far along to stop or change directions.

6 Likes

While I can’t tell how far it will go up, at least part of the parking deck on SmoHo Phase 1 is being clad in dark brick like much of the main bldg. Note around the entrance of the deck.

Bonus view…phase 2 continues to rise.

9 Likes

Dammit @R-Dub! I woke up, took this shot then came to the forum post it and saw you did the same thing! :joy: Posting mine anyways. I think they’re building little castles.

6 Likes

Put a mural on that ramp over on phase 1. “SmoHo” in graffiti letters is my proposal!

4 Likes

Brick is probably going to stop where the grey/ off-white air barrier membrane stops. My guess is they needing a cladding material for that corner retail space and decided to extend it to surround the parking entrance.

1 Like

Time will tell. The renderings I have seen have it all “black”. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

I don’t know @dtraleigh my first reaction to SmoHo was to think “some more ho’s”

12 Likes

Keep your mind out of the gutter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

4 Likes

That ramp and the parking deck facing Johnson for phase 1 is just really… well, ugh.

2 Likes

Have some faith … he’s not finished.

1 Like

let me finish that for you…
ugh-ly

2 Likes

Nothing could possibly be worse than the origin hotel deck. Something seriously needs to be done about covering that up.

2 Likes

Granted that deck is horrendous, but it doesn’t front an active street. At least the hotel is slapped on the front. In the future, the back side will be covered by another building facing Hargett, and its west side will eventually have another building covering it up. Only the east side facing the tracks will be left uncovered, and I can live with that.

On the other hand, Smoky Hollow has a nice pedestrian plaza with an open end looking right into the phase 1 deck, and Johnson Street is being returned to the grid there too. It’s going to be an eyesore forever unless it’s really covered up somehow.

4 Likes

The Boylan folks hate it. At least the ones on Nextdoor. It throws off too much light and ruined the whole character of the neighborhood according to one person. Eventually there are plans to build on that side of the hill; hopefully it’s sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Yeah, Origin’s deck doesn’t bother me as much. The light thing is a problem, but the neighborhood character, meh. This is what it takes to build a city. It may not happen this cycle, but a building will be built behind it and everything will be fine.

The deck for Two Glenwood is worse, but at least it has retail on the ground floor.

The ramp here is the worst because it puts a big fat concrete wall toward a street corner.

3 Likes