Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

The only two Food Lions in the city that stay open until 12am are both in NC State territory (Western Blvd & Avent Ferry locations).

2 Likes

Thatā€™s literally like one night a week though. And I know thatā€™s not really your crowd, so Iā€™ll be the first to let you know that 12am is pretty early for that demographic tbh. Most drunk 20-something-year-olds that really know how to party donā€™t even leave their house to go out until 11:30-12ish.

Publix would have to stay open until 2am or later to see the type of consistent nuisances youā€™re referring to. Besides, the last thing most drunk kids think about is buying groceries. Theyā€™d rather get Cookout or Waffle House from my experience.

5 Likes

Itā€™s true that I donā€™t stay out till 2 or 3 am drinking in public, but even when I was younger i wouldnā€™t wait till midnight to start my evening out. Regardless, I would still argue that the few people that would make it to a grocery store next to the party district of downtown on any night of the week would likely not be making it worthwhile for the store to be open.

3 Likes

Youā€™re acting like people donā€™t actually live in that area though lol. The Glenwood district is the densest area of the entire city, IIRC. That, along with it being downtown, should be enough of a reason in itself for Publix to consider extending their hours a bit. Iā€™d argue that extending the hours here would make alot more sense than extending the hours of any of the other suburb-facing Publixā€™s throughout the RDU area.

Well you should write them a strongly worded letter then. Maybe theyā€™ll agree.

As a resident in the walkshed of that store, I agree that Iā€™d get use out of it if it was open later. That said, I would also understand if they had safety concerns. To that end, I would be okay if they closed later on Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, and keep Fri and Sat night to 10PM.

5 Likes

Think it was obvious. But I heard from a :bird: that Crunkleton in Smoky Hollow is dead. Also heard from the :bird: that thereā€™s a chance a few people are partnering up on the old J. Lights spot to create a coffee shop concept.

One of the empty retail spots was being worked on yesterday. They were pouring a concrete floor. Not sure what is going in.

1 Like

Iā€™m not surprised. They made zero effort to actually do anything about moving in except putting up a sign. I canā€™t help but think a phase 3 with a residential tower, plus the office building actually being filled with tenants, wouldā€™ve helped a lot of this.

1 Like

If itā€™s the one across from Milk Lab itā€™s the nail salon being worked on

Speaking of, Milk Lab seemed to do REALLY well right from the jump, so Iā€™m not quite sure we can blame lack of interest on New Anthem/J.Lights/Crunkleton not succeeding. Is Milk Lab still doing as well? Madre and the BBQ place have both seemingly been doing fine, as well. And of course the Publix is crushing.

3 Likes

The WSJ had a piece Monday about the difficulties even long established restaurants are facing. Food service is in a cost vice that is going to squeeze a lot of places out of business.

2 Likes

Why would a business like theirs make a commitment to a greater Glenwood South location when their money making weekends have been taken over by a ā€œspring breakā€ sort of crowd?
The nature of the weekend crowd needs to change if we expect the district to attract businesses beyond those that primarily sell booze. One step in that direction is the redevelopment of sites like Cornerstone that add more residents while removing spring break.
The reality is that we are currently squandering our best opportunity to build a robust, walkable, densely populated urban neighborhood in service of partying.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t Crunkleton also mostly sell booze?

Like any other upscale nightlife business, they clearly sell booze. However, they arenā€™t primarily a nighttime party bar.
I donā€™t think that it takes a rocket scientist to understand the difference between a place like Cornerstone and a place like Crunkleton. Heck, thereā€™s even a difference between a place like Cornerstone and more casual pub places like Raleigh Beer Garden, Hibernian, or Carolina Ale House. The difference is that these other businesses sell dinner (and some offer lunch and brunch), in a sit-down restaurant service type environment.

2 Likes

Easy solution. Just post a bunch of pictures asking people in Glenwood South if they want to become Drunktown. Then institute strict regulations that force the bars out. Then the street becomes a dead street until we hire a consultancy firm that comes in 6 years later with some ideas on how to revive the area.

7 Likes

#word. Every college town needs a #drunkstreet. Having a Glenwood is literally university code. Itā€™s not like the Wolfpackers have much to cheer for. We did the same thing right?

7 Likes

Easy solution: get rid of all of the stupid cornerstone bars & all of the other cheesy bars the douchebag who drives around in that Lamborghini runs (anyone else feel like this guy is trying to compensate for other shortcomings?)

Once heā€™s out of the bar business on Glenwood, watch the changeover

Where do young people go to drink then? Ideally it would be Hillsborough but they shut down almost all the bars there too.

Going out is part of college and early post college life, and not everyone wants to go to an upscale cocktail bar. Iā€™d rather keep them all on Glenwood to keep it in one area

9 Likes

Not exactly a free market proposal, champ. I think the neon-light and cheap drink bars are annoying too, but my solution is to go somewhere else, not shut them down like the NIMBY stasi

12 Likes