Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

If they don’t have the votes for what they want they can always delay until after the election.

There were some strange factors at work during the last election. A reaction to Trump, Francis entering, Baldwin stepping back, an incumbent losing without any real negatives other than being employed by a developer, and a general push back against the growth we’ve had. There seemed to be a sharp turn towards neighborhood protectionism, affordable housing at any cost, and power tripping.

Hopefully we can get a little more serious about things with this election.

6 Likes

Crowder = Mayberry

Kane is doing the city a major benefit. He has a solid track record in the city. I could see if Raleigh started morphing into unbridled growth, that maybe these council members would try to put a few brakes on, but this Crowder woman is becoming a detriment to the city.

3 Likes

That’s the thing, we’re not turning into Miami or Austin or even Nashville with horrendous traffic and condo towers popping up everywhere. Four floors gives these people the vapors. It’s nuts.

2 Likes

This exact thing aggravates me to no end. I can’t stand when the news does this.

5 Likes

Bonner Gaylord from Kane Realty is going to provide an update on the Peace/Smokey Hollow development at a Glenwood South neighborhood meeting which will be held on Wednesday, April 24th at 6pm at the Hampton Inn on Johnson Street. This is open to the public.

4 Likes

As interesting as this article is, what really stands out to me is that

another developer, whom Crowder declined to name, might ask for a forty-story rezoning just across Capital Boulevard from Kane’s project.

Any ideas as to where exactly? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Seaboard? Just speculating.

My guess is the northeast corner of Peace and West. I think I heard someone had bought up a number of properties there.

I’m guessing directly across capital either on the west side of the railroad tracks or the east side where the original NCFC stadium was proposed.

1 Like

I live in Durham, and I am happy with our City Council. They are letting creative buildings get built. One City Center is a perfect example, and American Tobacco Part 2 is supposed to be tall too.

If I lived in Raleigh, and not just work there, I would run. I might lose, but I feel like I could get enough people to talk about the issues on the council. This is crazy

3 Likes

I like the idea of major high rises outside of the Fayetteville St core. Boston is a good example. A dense cluster of many high rises downtown, but the three tallest in the city are in Back Bay.

2 Likes

I was thinking that they were talking about the SE corner of the Peace/Capital intersection. When Capital is complete, there were will a new service road that will parallel Capital and serve that quadrant, as well as The Cotton Mill in the NE quadrant.

2 Likes

There are tracks there but probably room if designed correctly.

Yes. That parcel is bounded by tracks, but there are buildings there now that would be replaced.

I’d argue that this council likes to talk about affordable housing, but not actually do anything about it. They had a perfect opportunity with the ADU regulations, and instead made it as hard as possible for anyone to build an accessory dwelling, despite that being a proven way to increase affordable housing options. The rest of your statement is absolutely true. Admittedly laughing in the face of an upzoning request without even considering it on its merits reeks of arrogance and an autocratic mentality.

9 Likes

Phase 3 rezoning hits the planning commission on April 23. (tomorrow)

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BBCKLD526000

5 Likes

Anyone planning on going? I totally would be there and am anxious to hear their feedback but I’m out of town. :frowning:

Yeah, I can probably swing by again.

1 Like

Does anyone know if a rendering for Phase 3 has been released?

I actually think they’re not planning on doing much with this request this month. I believe they asked to revisit the request for the May meeting but again, reporting on Raleigh happenings isn’t my main job. LOL