Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

I’m happy with this!
I had seen conflicting reports between April and May, but once Finds came down I figured it was only a matter of weeks before they took down the rest.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since I posted a picture. Progress is harder to follow in this phase of construction. Lots of roof work happening on Peace bldg, the “thing” in front of the parking deck is in fact a ramp, continued soil remediation at Phase III lot, and a portrait picture so that you can see the beginning of pavement / slab removal in the foreground as well as heavy equipment ready to chew up a lot more for Phase II.

13 Likes

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Here’s some from the east and north sides:

11 Likes

Check this out:

interesting nuggets on neighboring potential projects:

“Kane isn’t the only developer eyeing high-density development in that part of downtown. Developer Bobby Lewis hopes to add a twenty-story hotel across the street from the new Publix on Peace Street, and another developer, whom Crowder declined to name, might ask for a forty-story rezoning just across Capital Boulevard from Kane’s project.”

17 Likes

Haha I just posted this in the Elections thread. I can’t stand Crowder

4 Likes

Is our city council serious…

3 Likes

“They came and talked to me about it months ago, and I laughed,” Crowder says. “You always laugh when people ask for that much.”

Crowder is insane, and should be booted out immediately. My god.

9 Likes

Raleigh city council is a joke

4 Likes

I believe one of the regular members here @OakCityDylan was quoted also.

““Really, it comes down to taking areas that are already designated for transportation projects like [bus rapid transit] and putting people in places where they can benefit from those projects,” says Dylan Bouterse, a North Central CAC member who supports the project. “This is not old Raleigh anymore. It’s growing up, and we can’t stop it from growing up, but we can encourage it to grow the right way.””

13 Likes

I made the news! And yes, we have some jokes in city council. Old Raleigh is behind us and we need to put our Old City Council behind us as well. What sucks is the rezoning request for this project will probably precede the October 8 vote.

12 Likes

What a joke. The current 12 story limit is arbitrary. Let the man build. Preferably without “affordable” units included.

3 Likes

I’m not against affordable hosing, but I don’t think we should force it on builders if there aren’t reasonable means to adopt programs to offset the financial impact to a project based on the reduced revenue from building those units. I don’t know the gory details here, but it’s my understanding the city doesn’t have a great program for this and make it nearly impossible for builders. Perhaps somebody else in this forum has better/more facts on this.

7 Likes

We should force affordable housing because there is no market force doing so.

Frankly I would be much more aggressive about it. And building taller is a great way to help it happen as well.

3 Likes

Despite being sworn into an elected position, no one on City council is nearly as powerful as Kane. They may win the battle, but I think ultimately Kane will win the war.

2 Likes

I have no problem with affordable housing being part of this. I do have a problem with our no big government republican legislators micromanaging municipalities, especially with their anti big city bias, where they make city government attempts to force affordable housing illegal. That being said, if making affordable housing part of this makes it unfeasible, there needs to be some compromise. The Indy has an affordable housing liberal bias, so they may be talking this issue up. But my takeaway is still that Kay doesn’t like tall buildings, and the affordable housing issue is a smoke screen

I’m getting really tired of The INDY’s sloppy reporting. Just because a building has 40 floors, it does not make it Raleigh’s tallest building. 40 floors of mostly residential and hotel will almost assuredly come well short of the PNC tower. When you also consider that a good number of those floors will be parking garage, it becomes even less likely that the building can even come close to PNC’s height.
If INDY’s intention is to kill the project, they are doing a fine job of it with that sort of narrative.

8 Likes

I agree. Not to mention that it’s in a lower area geographically, so the total visual impact is not likely to be higher than many of the existing buildings. You never know if quotes are presented in the proper context, but Crowder’s tone in that article was really off putting, as if they’re the grand poobahs that extend the ring for developers to kiss. 40 stories is not an absurd ask for a city of Raleigh’s size. What do they think they’re protecting? It’s fine for people to have personal preferences for high-rise vs. low-rise structures, but if you’re on a city council for a growing area the size of Raleigh and you let your personal biases warp policy to an unreasonable extent, you’re in the wrong job. Go be the mayor of Smithfield if that’s the type of town you want to live in.

15 Likes

Just a completely flippant tone. Even if she said “I have concerns about that number of floors,” it would be one thing. Dismissing it out-of-hand is completely uncalled for and extremely arrogant. We’re not Washington, DC, and we shouldn’t be afraid to go vertical.

3 Likes

Meanwhile at Smoky Hollow, Kane Kan marches on with Phase 2 readiness.

12 Likes

Right, and zoning for up to 40 floors means this will be somewhere between 20 and 40 – not in any way guaranteed to be Raleigh’s tallest. I’ve seen several places report this as a proposal for a 40-story tower.

4 Likes