Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Absolutely @OakCityDylan!

@ [xtremetoonz] in all due respect… are we really talking about blocking the progression of an entire city and restrict more commercial floors to bring in day time foot traffic to businesses and restaurants… due to the fact that one condo may lose their “view”. That’s one of the problems with Raleigh. They actually consider thoughts like this. This is one of the reasons we continue to have 6 story buildings. Because residents in existing structures have a say in what goes in around them. So if we actually have one building with some height in Raleigh… does that mean all buildings around that building should have a height restriction?? I would love to see where a New York, Chicago, Atlanta,… even Charlotte and Nashville would be with that mentality. Haha… let’s let one building have “a view” and all others shall remain short. Enjoy your view of ac units and tops parking decks! I’m sorry, but if we plan to grow as a city… we need to get past the NIMBY mentality. Another example… Let’s grow and get more hotels… yet because one condo building is raising such a fuss and thinks nothing should block their “view” we can’t have a nice boutique hotel on peace street.

4 Likes

Acid rain, acid rain, run home from school, hurry up

We didn’t say they shouldn’t do it. We said we are glad he didn’t. That’s just being honest.

I get this point but I’m not sure it needs to be at that level in Raleigh. Downtown has plenty of available land to give our buildings some “space” in between rather than maximizing the space for a body tower. This allows better architecture also.

Now, are we getting the better architecture? That might be a different conversation. Developers shouldn’t develop in a vacuum so have to take in to account neighbors. Kane seems good at this. Maybe that’s why he’s so successful??? :thinking:

4 Likes

And this isn’t NYC. I don’t think it would be good for the {growing?} Raleigh downtown condo market for there to be a lot of stories about people at Condo A or B that lost a great deal of value because a building was built 20 feet in front of them. I checked the zoning before I bought on my floor to be sure it was in fact lower. Yeah, zoning can change.

A few words taken a bit out of context. I said they “didn’t completely kill our view” but I see your point. I am not one of those that opposes any construction simply for selfish reasons or for my view. I fully support the evolution of DTR’s skyline and believe there’s much more value added with these buildings than potential reduction of value based on view. I spoke up at the Development Committee meeting and said just that in support of the Phase 3 rezoning approval.

7 Likes

I think you should re-read my post. That was a long-winded reply for misunderstanding my comment and perspective. I stated the same thing in my reply to @RobertSanderlin.

We’re all on the same page. Build higher! I’m staying I DON’T CARE about view. I did say I appreciate that Kane took the West residents into consideration, but if I had had a chance to vote on a proposed rezoning of phase 2 to DX-20 or DX-40, you’d find me voting for it.

7 Likes

Yes, everybody back off and go reread @OakCityDylan original post. Y’all are punching at shadows. His comment about being glad to not lose a view is honest, fair, accurate, on point, and not NIMBY at all. He is glad to retain the view but would be just as glad to have a 40 story tower there. Nothing wrong with that.

5 Likes

Understood. Thank you for the clarification and my words certainly aren’t directed at you then. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I used to work in that building several years ago and really enjoyed my time there.

For what’s worth, I think staggering the highest buildings works better in a few ways…sure folks get views, but also it balances impacts to infrastructure a little, and also allows a well designed tower to shine and stick out where it can be seen. Can you imagine Hearst and BOA in Charlotte right up next to each other? It’d be a waste of all the design time and materials. I got the feeling Kane considers all of these things in his plans.

3 Likes

Agreed. Not every plot of land needs to be maximized in height. That would be its own special sort of Hell.

1 Like

14 posts were split to a new topic: Coffee in Downtown

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coffee in Downtown

Finds is gone, the last building to go

9 Likes

Awesome, my thanks!
I wonder if they will “move” the cam and let us see construction for this part of Smokey Hollow?

1 Like

If not, I’m still here!

3 Likes

I’ll be by twice a week as well. From the pedestrian perspective lol

1 Like

I know they said May timeframe for “starting” but this looks like phase 2 prep work. One tearing up a retaining wall and 2 more being delivered.

8 Likes