Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

The 40 story rezoning is off the screen to the left and functionally will be completely surrounded by the southbound Capital exit to Peace St.

3 Likes

I did not realize that was a separate building from the one that has already topped out(phase 1) that’s why I was confused to the difference in heights in the rendering.

2 Likes

Let’s give them the chance to spend some money on design before we run this thing in the ground? If there is anyone I would want to choose to build this thing that has built in Raleigh, it’s Kane. That was my basic message to our fine politicians at City Council.

4 Likes

Ha! Ha!
I needed a good laugh! :sweat_smile::rofl::joy:

Hope my sarcasm came across in my post.

5 Likes

Your sarcasm font is bolder than mine. :joy:

Really excited for approval and the initial design. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Yeah, if it wasn’t clear, I wasn’t critiquing it; I was only explaining where in the process this is… basically expressing a similar sentiment as you. It’s silly to comment on anything other than organization when all that’s been presented is a massing diagram and the building hasn’t even entered schematic design.

2 Likes

Sorry if my comment appeared at @elevatoroperator, but I meant in general. They show a “mass model” and “we” start criticizing it. Just a little chill please. I love this forum and am so impressed with what @dtraleigh does with it, but I have almost dropped off several times when the “this is the ugliest thing I have ever seen” and “it’s not tall enough” banter starts. We have someone that is trying to push the limits on height , yet we jump all over a Styrofoam-like conceptual model and call it ugly.

6 Likes

I may have jumped the gun on my critique - mainly just annoyed by the MASSIVE parking deck/apartment block, as usual. However, if it ends up anything like Durham’s City Centre, I will be happy. I think they did a good job with this kind of massing there. Plus, this WILL be taller!

5 Likes

that Styrofoam needs to be taller :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Quote from today’s N&O:
The tower likely won’t be the tallest building by elevation in the city — because the Peace Street area sits below the downtown core — and it is unlikely that Kane Realty would use all 40 stories if it is granted the rezoning, Bonner Gaylord, managing director of operations for Kane Realty, said Wednesday. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, the news certainly loves calling it a “40-story building” as well as typical CAC cohorts. Lets try to keep it realistic here and remember that it’s a 40-story MAXIMUM, 500 feet MAXIMUM.

3 Likes

Pulled straight from the UDO, please bookmark all!

6 Likes

Using an address here, the elevation comment is also important to note.

• 336 feet above sea level at PNC Plaza
  • 269 at phase 3

That’s a 67 foot difference.

PNC Plaza is 538 feet to the top of the spire. Visually, phase 3 will NOT look like the tallest building in downtown Raleigh even if the folks at Kane max it out at 500 feet. There will (again, visually) be greater than a 100 foot difference here.

So if you are uncomfortable with height, you must realize that we already have the height being proposed for phase 3 in downtown Raleigh.

8 Likes

Here’s the link to the article:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article229635109.html#storylink=mainstage

5 Likes

Anything over 30 stories here is really going to add some pizzazz to the Northern Gateway.
Can’t wait to see the first renders.
Kane40proposal

6 Likes

What is the basis for these prelim massings? A rough estimation of the square footage they envision, combined with a specific number of apartment units and parking spaces? I know how fluid and open it is at this stage, but there must be a rhyme and reason for releasing a unique sketch.

The massing was released at the request of the planning commission. They wanted to see what it could look like based on the requirements of the UDO. It’s sketch that represents the “math and logic” of all the height, setback, etc. requirements under that zoning.

That’s how it should be interpreted rather than being anything that closely resembles the final product. It’s important to note that design work hasn’t even started.

5 Likes

Wish they would just ask for a 40 story rezoning with a higher height limit.

1 Like

I suspect they understand what they are up against with CC and doing what they think has the best chance for approval. My guess.

1 Like