Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

I have heard several people call Raleigh “Rals”

Fixed it for you…

2 Likes

Do we like press releases or do you think it’s just marketing?

Second Phase of Smoky Hollow Underway in Downtown Raleigh

Raleigh, NC (July 16, 2019) Kane Realty Corporation and Williams Realty & Building Company are thrilled to announce the second phase of construction is underway at Smoky Hollow, a transcending project injecting a creative mix of uses into downtown Raleigh. The second phase of Smoky Hollow will feature 225,000 RSF of Class A office space at 421 N. Harrington St., structured parking, The Line downtown apartments and an engaging pedestrian promenade encompassed by 40,000 SF of street-level restaurants and retail. The pedestrian experience will be activated with events and inviting outdoor gathering areas. The first phase of Smoky Hollow, delivering spring 2020, features Peace Raleigh apartments and Publix grocery store. A future third phase of Smoky Hollow will feature additional multi-use development.

“Along with our partner Williams Realty & Building Company, we are committed to smart-growth and development in Raleigh,” said John Kane, CEO of Kane Realty Corporation. “Together, we are helping to enhance the downtown lifestyle for workers, residents and visitors and we think this will be a truly special place to experience.”

An extension of the existing vibrant neighborhood, while deeply rooted in the site’s transportation and industrial history, Smoky Hollow is a neighborhood reborn from history located in downtown Raleigh. Future City of Raleigh Devereux Meadows Park with rehabilitation focused on open green space, water features and greenway connections is adjacent to Smoky Hollow.

421 N. Harrington St., a 9-story, 225,000 RSF office building atop active ground-level retail, will open as part of the second phase of Smoky Hollow in late 2020. The office experience will feature refined industrial influenced design mixed with lifestyle-oriented workplaces such as large conference space, collaborative work areas, outdoor terraces and a bicycle center.

The Line downtown apartments, also opening late 2020, will feature 283 apartment homes with best-in-class urban amenities and finishes. Peace Raleigh apartments includes 417 premium apartment homes above an approximately 46,000 SF Publix grocery store with approximately 5,000 SF of additional retail space.

Little Diversified is the architect for 421 N. Harrington St. office, JDavis is the architect for The Line downtown apartments, and Cline Design is the architect for Peace Raleigh apartments. Clancy & Theys Construction Company is the general contractor for phases one and two of Smoky Hollow. Lionstone Investments is an equity partner for phases one and two.

Office and retail space is now available for lease. For office leasing information contact Hooker Manning, 919.719.5424, hmanning@kanerealtycorp.com or Alex Mikels, 919.719.5415, amikels@kanerealtycorp.com. For retail leasing information contact Steve Brown, 919.719.5425, sbrown@kanerealtycorp.com or Wendi Wood Howell, 919.719.5426, whowell@kanerealtycorp.com.

Click here to access renderings of Smoky Hollow.

ABOUT SMOKY HOLLOW

Revitalizing a dynamic location in downtown Raleigh, Smoky Hollow is neighborhood reborn from history and injecting a new, creative mix of uses. Smoky Hollow will feature Peace Raleigh Apartments above downtown’s first Publix grocery store and additional retail, 225,000 RSF of Class A office space at 421 N. Harrington St., structured parking, The Line downtown apartments and an engaging pedestrian promenade encompassed by 40,000 SF of street-level restaurants and retail. The pedestrian experience will be activated with events and inviting outdoor gathering areas, as well as access to impactful Infrastructure and urban transit options. Learn more about Smoky Hollow at SmokyHollowRaleigh.com.

ABOUT KANE REALTY CORPORATION

Kane Realty Corporation (KRC) is a full-service real estate development and management company focused on office, retail, multi-family and mixed-use properties of the highest quality. Based in Raleigh, NC since 1978, KRC is dedicated to the goal of creating irresistible places where people will naturally want to gather. Through meticulous attention to detail in every aspect of the property from design and construction management to leasing and property management, Kane’s mission is to build places that improve the quality of life of their businesses, their employees, residents and visitors. For more information, please visit KaneRealtyCorp.com.

ABOUT WILLIAMS REALTY & BUILDING COMPANY

Williams Realty & Building Company focuses on top-quality commercial and residential construction, development and property management. Founded in 1954 by John C. Williams, the company was built on three simple principles: Treat people fairly, focus on the job at hand and do the best work possible. Today, managed by the founder’s sons, Cross, Joel and Owen, the company remains true to its roots and continues to thrive through the relationships it has built and maintained for more than 60 years. For more information, please visit wrbco.com.

4 Likes

Well, it’s definitely marking and almost certainly put out by Kane marketing, but, I do like the additional information. “The Line” is an odd/interesting name for the stick-built apartments on West.

The linked renders are awesome. Instead of people doing push ups here the theme is fashion week

5 Likes

We like press releases.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to eat at Tio’s Tapas!

2 Likes

I prefer REJAJL myself

4 Likes

Any idea if the retail spaces will be different/separate on either side of the building (as in, something on the interior pedestrian corridor, and something else on the other side/streetside)? Or if the spaces will be big, building-wide spaces with entrances on either side? I’m hoping for the former.

700 apartments. 1.5 people per apartment x .9 occupancy rate = 945 people living in the first two phases of Peace.

Plus the office space.

Nice density here.

7 Likes

I like seeing the press releases. Obviously they are marketing material so there is some fluff, but there is some good info in there, and the renderings are good. I think I had seen most, but not all of them.

1 Like

Nice reminder from Kane about what we will have in a year and half.
I’ll be very interested in what happens with the 40,000 ft2 of retail. Will it be just a few larger retailers and restaurants or will it be a larger quantity of smaller businesses? I hope that it’s not just a few large suburban sized retailers.

3 Likes

Big box and franchise-type businesses seem to be Kane Realty’s bread and butter so I’m not expecting too much local here.

2 Likes

Which is fine because bigbox/franchises bring more people into downtown who might not regularly come, which in turn increases opportunities for smaller/local businesses to thrive as well. Now if only more new developments could include at least a handful of smaller format retail spaces for local retailers to jump on. We need more “skinny” store spaces.

6 Likes

Yes, I mostly agree with that. I am seeing local businesses take foot into existing buildings rather than the new development spaces. For example, Smok(e)y Hollow may drive local businesses to continue setting up across Peace Street, north along West where we have The Cardinal, Layered, and a few other non-food businesses. Also, the existing ones there may get a bump in business too.

1 Like

I recently spoke with someone in the DTR retail scene, and they mentioned that is nearly impossible for a local business to produce the pro forma required to land in one of the shiny new developments. I have to wonder if Dram and Draught would have ended up in One Glenwood if it were a requested relocation versus a buy-out. Transfer co, Morgan st. Food hall are great, and we need the equivalent kind of space for local non-food retail.

4 Likes

The food halls are also exclusively to established businesses and/or deep pockets as well. Not easy to be a small business in Downtown.

OK interesting. This is my thinking behind the next wave of retail/entertainment being in neighborhoods. I think it’s a factor into why Person Street is doing well in that area. South Street is another node of activity and as I mentioned, West Street north of Peace.

At the same time, I wonder if just like housing the commercial rents will go down as supply goes up and the spaces start to age a bit. We’re flooding the market with brand new retail space. There’s still been a lot that hasn’t been filled.

Now that I think of it, the businesses in The L kind of buck that trend.

3 Likes

After seeing what retailer Kane was able to recruit for the Dillon (Barcelona, Urban Outfitters and Weaver Street market) I have big hopes for Smoky Hollow - maybe even an Apple Store like Nashville downtown

1 Like

Kane now owns the Sky House as well if Facebook is correctly advertising to me. Downtown is now Kane-dy-land.

2 Likes