Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

Guess could include some 400sf efficiency apartments to meet requirement and make the (wbnbvayfn) people. Rent may end up higher per sf that bigger ones.

(would be nice but vote against you if not)

And I don’t understand why Kane and the City can’t just agree to build affordable housing that is separate from this development. Why does it have to be tied in with something that very clearly intended to be luxury housing. I refuse to believe it can’t be profitable in Raleigh. If Russ and the rest of this incompetent council were truly concerned then they should be partnering with developers, maybe offering tax breaks or incentives to build actual affordable housing and not strong arming developers into something that don’t want to do. Russ can grand stand on the issue all he wants but the fact is that there is no real political will to solve the issue at all.

10 Likes

I understand the optics of the poor door as in Manhattan, but having your home subsidized doesn’t automatically entitle you to luxury amenity access just because the city forced the developer to include the affordable housing in the first place.
If full access were required, then what are the optics for the vast number of people who are neither wealthy enough nor poor enough to live there? Why don’t they get access? It’s just a huge can of worms that gets opened by forcing a private developer to address public policy issues.

9 Likes

The funny thing about it, the city’s RUS Bus Station has until June or July 2020 to break ground or risk loosing their funding. Which puts them a year or two ahead of Phase III to actually capitalize on affordable housing. If they also used similar funding like 3M for Sir Walter or 12M for the whole county in 2019, they would make more of an impact. Also did I read they have only ear-marked 20 units as affordable?

Which in my opinion makes it ever more evident this is all grandstanding, and counter productive.

2 Likes

Completely agree with this.

1 Like

It’s pandering during an election year.

Yes, 20 units based on approval of rezoning to DX-40.

What is city council going to do when a developer wants 40 stories of office? No affordable housing going in there.

2 Likes

As others have alluded to already, I think there’s a good chance that those 20 units will be micro-units that can be priced at market rates, but still technically considered as affordable by the metrics that are being used.

2 Likes

So the people that “need” this affordable housing that has to be in one of the most up and coming, popular spots in Raleigh… are they going to be the ones to walk downstairs to the retail shops and purchase the $200 pair of jeans or are they going to be the ones buying the $14 cocktails at the restaurants? If we plan to support local, we need to purchase the goods they are providing. Is the city forcing these developers to provide affordable retails spaces for small businesses? Charge them less rent for a space? This is completely insane to me that the city is dictating what a developer does with the land and building they are developing. Repeating myself… I’ve always lived where I could afford… not forced people to make what is their’s affordable for me.

8 Likes

Just a little street view shot…

18 Likes

Not wasting any time!! :+1:

3 Likes

They are really going have all the steel up in a few weeks!

3 Likes

I was rolling down Harrington going North a few minutes ago and this view struck me as being super cool. Less so from a picture but that commercial building in Phase II is going to be super prominent.

And some additional angles from @GucciLittlePig’s above.

15 Likes

Dare I say… Raleigh is starting to look like a CITY! I just love that this building will QUICKLY cover up that hideous parking deck from most angles. :raised_hands:

8 Likes

This pattern has developed in cities such as Paris. The more affordable housing is centered around rail stops as you leave central Paris. No one there would envision building affordable housing in the central area because of the extraordinary cost of land. Raleigh should invest in land along BRT stops for future growth, including affordable housing. Developers can build in a public/private configuration.

4 Likes

I could so see some really prominent neon or art on the side of this building pointing south down Harrington.

2 Likes

Instead of strong arming developers why don’t they just create a separate development fee. With the income they can buy land and build affordable housing. They could even build on property the city already owns. If the city built mixed income developments, it could easily afford to place A couple of nice buildings throughout downtown.

6 Likes

With Capitalism on full display and completely unbridled, I am most concerned that any affordable housing is fully served by transit, walkable roads/sidewalks and zoned so that adequate commercial stuff can be built nearby. People with money will always tramp where they please, but the City should be queueing up to be dexterous enough to fully provide for families living in affordable areas, whenever a fully conceived and enacted policy ends up with those units. The obvious knee-jerkiness to this really is peeving me.

2 Likes

The city squandered its affordable housing land downtown on low density, suburban type development, and now they want everyone else to fix that problem for them.

19 Likes