"SoHi" and Developments Along South Wilmington (South DTR)

Is 2032 seriously the timeline for the Wilmington Corridor BRT? What a joke. Honestly, They should have started with this route because there are so few people in the area to bitch and moan about their lives being improved too much.

4 Likes

I edited for context of my 2032 number… :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Public hearing on the big rezoning extended to 6/20

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2231?u=oakcityyimby

1 Like

Please pass, I think we should pass it if they’re worried about historic buildings then exclude them from the rezoning we can have both history and modernest. I just don’t get why they’re against it when they’re options. I debate them on stuff and they reply with asinine responses.

1 Like

Where/when is the hearing on this thing? I mean, yes, the 20th. But why when I look at the BoardDocs do I not get the actual currently scheduled time and location?

1 Like

It’s during the evening session of city council.

1 Like

Z-93-22 passed this evening.

21 Likes

I’m actually surprised 20-story rezoning passed for this location. Not really close to anything over 2 stories.

14 Likes

I have always felt that Wilmington Street going into downtown was begging for development!

16 Likes

Likely getting ahead of the BRT on Wilmington

11 Likes

Limited to only 1,0000 residential units however. That’s maybe 3 apartments at most of whatever height.

2 Likes

in the future when this is built out and DTS is built out, it’s going to almost be like Raleigh has an Interstate running through its core, at least visually.

4 Likes

David Meeker agrees which is probably part of why this passed unanimously. A lot of the buildings on this site are boarded up and neglected so I feel that most local residents are of the approach that any action is better than inactionm. I believe this will be turn into a nice node here in the next decade.

Also of note, the 348 units nearby on Hammel Drive should start construction soon. Saw where they requested a permit to close down the access road and they just put a blockade up last week. This rezoning would provide walkable amenities and hopefully keep some of these potential drivers off the roads.

8 Likes

Yall, I’m all for it. Just pointing out this site is barely even walkable to downtown south.

2 Likes

I think you were just adding info, but just to clarify I was referring to the Wilmington Street rezoning being walkable. And yes it is a haul to the future DTS site. Easy scooter or bikeshare ride though.

1 Like

All of these future towers is how Raleigh gets to 500,000 without relying on annexations.

18 Likes