South Saunders Street south of Downtown

No renderings but they did show a couple images of the Hawk building to be constructed in Charlotte’s Southend. You nailed it.

The rezoning request includes conditions proposed by the applicant that specify high end exterior finishes and prohibit vinyl siding, fiberboard siding, PT wood, and synthetic stucco. They want to go to 12 stories so they can do something special with the building. I guess that’s where the economics allow you to get away from stick-built and start using steel, concrete and glass.

Conditions also include 15% of apt. units reserved for “workforce housing”. These are targeted at those earning 80% or less of AMI ($80,000 * .8 = $64,000). This condition would be in place for 10 years. Again, this condition is proposed by the developer.

The parcel(s?) next to Earp’s (on S. Saunders to the North) are also for sale. The developer said they were very interested in that property as well but couldn’t agree on price.

7 Likes

“What about the traffic“ is a pretty funny complaint for a project that fronts S Saunders.

4 Likes

If they get the rezoning, I bet they snatch them up, regardless of price. If they can’t get the rezone, it is a huge risk for the developer.

Not exactly sure where to put this, but plans for a snazzy new office building in Renaissance Park, along the Southern BRT corridor, popped up on the Wire:

15 Likes

Nice!
This is the kind of commercial real estate growth we will likely continue to see post-pandemic. Smaller, scattered office buildings. Too bad that area has very little walkable mixed use, but there is a lot of developable land there along Tryon. Maybe it this is the start of a new tide for that area.

5 Likes

Feel free to move this as necessary: https://amp.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article256629631.html

A $600 million, multi-use neighborhood will join a slate of developments planned for Raleigh’s Fuller Heights, a historically diverse, affordable area outside Dorothea Dix Park that faces gentrification.

1 Like

Project will be a tremendous improvement for the area

2 Likes

I got an idea: let’s NOT develop downtown so that it’s more spread out and one has to drive further to do all things. That’s a good idea. :thinking: :wink:

2 Likes

The South Wilmington / Ileagnes rezoning to CX-20 is heading to public hearing on 6/6

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2210?u=oakcityyimby

6 Likes

New rezoning request at 1230 and 1234 S. Saunders, between Maywood and Park City South, adjacent to the Maywood mega-rezoning. From IX-3 to CX-20.

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2245?u=oakcityyimby

11 Likes

They just installed a hulking new traffic light at S Saunders and Prospect Ave. I’m not thrilled that there will be 2 sets of lights, Prospect Ave then Maywood. But they didn’t ask me

1 Like

Better for pedestrians?
And probably needed for the new residents (cars) coming to Park City South and Hammel Dr

9 Likes

20 Story Rezoning near Dix Park/Downtown South

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/07/17/dix-park-raleigh-rezoning-20-stories.html

“The two properties are 1230 and 1234 S. Saunders St. and total 2.01 acres. The site has a total assessed value of about $1.6 million. The properties currently hold auto related businesses.”

19 Likes

If we want to this area to behave like downtown, or at least be an adjacent urban neighborhood like the NC State section of Hillsborough St., then we have to make changes to this major artery. Adding lights and slowing traffic down is a step in that direction. I’d like to see that entire stretch reinvisioned with the inclusion of improved streetscape, lower speeds, and the inclusions of roundabouts if we want to limit traffic lights.
If that’s not what we want, then we can keep prioritizing the car at 45MPH with as few stoplights as possible.

16 Likes

I’m actually ok with this light, it’s hell trying to get across S Saunders. And I guess I’ll have to get used to traffic lights every 2 blocks. I am wondering what this will do to my traffic on Prospect, it’s already a cut thru to Fayetteville St and Wilmington. Ah the 1st world issues with traffic.

1 Like

There’s no reason why the city can’t sequence the lights like they do through the core of DT. If folks are going the speed limit, reward them with not having to stop at every light. Win/Win

6 Likes

Hmm, 1230 and 1234 are the two buildings just south of Murray’s Tires, the last buildings on the little appendix of S Saunders that ends directly opposite Prospect. Prospect used to go I guess a block or half a block further west there and connect to the end of Fuller St. Maybe this new rezoning could lead to a reconnection there?

This is from the Dix Edge Study and is more oriented to bike/pedestrian plans but still gives a decent idea of the grid. There is a better image that shows layout plan for roads but it may be on the Southern Gateway Corridor plan and was drafted before Hammel Towers and PCS.

10 Likes

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article287907585.html

About time

2 Likes

Cleanup took three days and cost about $26,000, Deaner said.

While I sympathize with these folks, this stat just absolutely sucks. I’m an environmentalist/nature-lover at heart. That’s a lot of trash and labor to clean it up.

45 tons of debris??? That cannot possibly be a real number lmao. The average car weighs 2 tons.

3 Likes