South Saunders Street south of Downtown

They all just moved down the street to that grass island bound by 70/401/Mechanical Blvd.

Garner won’t let that last for long……

1 Like

They’ve let it last a lot longer than you’d imagine, I left Lowe’s Sunday and was blown away at how large it’s become. I was going too fast to take a picture, but something weird is going on over there. There’s several old cars parked there also, with tents set up on the back or connecting the two. Someone was grilling food as well, it’s a scene.

2 Likes

Garner tried to get it cleaned up but the problem is the land is owned by the NCDOT. They would have to be the people the enforce anything on that lot.

1 Like

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article287905815.html

Knew Garner/Raleigh would kick them out….

It is sad in many ways but they can’t just set up camp on public land & leave trash everywhere. It eventually becomes an eyesore & a bad reflection on the City. There are agencies that can help these folks……

1 Like

From the article:

“While the people in the encampment have consistently declined services through ACORNS and the City of Raleigh, ACORNS held another session with residents yesterday,” the statement continued. “We will continue to help make connections to programs available through the City and private partners. Enforcement is our last option in this complicated situation.”

…welp

7 Likes

Can’t say they didn’t try. I’m proud that we have social workers involved in encampment cleanup efforts. At the end of the day, there are folks on the streets that don’t want the party to end. And entering a shelter ends the party. For those folks, a stricter enforcement is needed both to help the city and to disincentivize that mentality

6 Likes

Wral says the police told them Friday to leave by today at 10am citing increases in local crime. Wonder if this has anything to do with the 2 recent shootings by S Wilmington street and Pecan.

2 Likes