State Government

Yea the intent was for them to face St Marys and Williamson. The alley roads shown are basically the backs for the driveways/garage entrances.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see SECU unload those properties at some point. Word on the street is there have been offers but they’re waiting on the right price.

2 Likes

But can we rename it for WTVD’s Steve Daniels? /s.

(It would be more substantial than the parking lot feeder Cary named for WRAL’s Charlie Gaddy).

Fayetteville Street is more likely to be named after him when he retires. I know Peter Jeenings Way is a secondary name on 6th and Columbus outside ABC NEWS HQ in New York.

This may be nothing, but I saw a Stewart Engineering truck and some gear in the middle of the state parking lot between Wilmington and Blount yesterday. Any guesses from the experts here?

7 Likes

Perhaps prep for the History Museum expansion?

4 Likes

They’re surveying with just a Base and Rover which means they were likely just locating property corners for that parcel. It’ll probably be awhile before anything more tangible shows up, but it’s exciting to see something in the works here.

8 Likes

Have there been any recent(ish) talks/rumors/wild a$$ dreams about the UNC/Community College administrative “campus” being built in DRT. I can’t remember which building on Jones Street would be torn down to build the vertical(?) campus, but this would set a new tone for the State Government side of DRT.

3 Likes

The current administration building is to be torn down and replaced with the new education complex. This is to include the UNC Community College system as well as the new NCDPI (aka) the pink palace :wink:

3 Likes

Are they just tearing down their building or more of the Caswell Square structures? That block has some gems along with the midcentury filler.

(Also the Community College building itself has some neat art deco detailing that I’ll be a little sad to see go)

2 Likes

I like checking out Halifax Mall at night and the creepy-ish glow-from-the-ground of the sub-surface parking in the trees beside the Archdale.

15 Likes

Not on Caswell square, this building:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/B3Wwc4w2kSzxsV8S9?g_st=ic

1 Like

And people say Halifax Mall is underused

11 Likes

N&O is reporting that the Bath Building and the Administration Building will both be demolished in the near future, supposedly by the end of this year.

11 Likes

I like both buildings, so I’m pretty down about this, which I know puts me in the minority.

At least the Administration Building is getting replaced by something.

Parks are generally good, but the Bath Building location doesn’t really need one at all. The Mall is right there. It needs people and activity. What a waste.

9 Likes

Once the Ed bldgs go up, maybe they will tear the current CC bldg down and restore more of Caswell Sq. I’d rather have more of that than the park where Bath is now.

9 Likes

State government could really use more open space. The east Berlin mall is just not enough.

2 Likes

my dad used to work in the admin building when it was built…the governor actually had an office there at the time. bath used to house the state health lab…rabies testing on animals, etc. will be interesting to see what designs are proposed.

3 Likes

Anyone know what’s going on around the capital building? It looks not quite temporary like they’re going to do some work on the building itself.

9 Likes

Roof replacement, HVAC updating (so those ugly boxes will go away), and general exterior maintenance/repair work.

14 Likes