State Government

erecting a taller barrier?

It’s already a mess on the Capitol grounds.

13 Likes

Worth noting this includes a new copper dome.

7 Likes

I was told they’re going to tear it down to build a real sized state capitol building /s

4 Likes

It is on the small end for Texas county courthouses!

With the crazy that the state government has been bringing lately, I’m happy to keep their impact minimized.

7 Likes

I hate that Raleigh is associated with them.

2 Likes

What a strange thing to say, since without them there would be no Raleigh.

9 Likes

True indeed. The Texas State Capitol is a beast!

5 Likes

It is just as impressive inside. I also love this vista from this side, down Congress to the bridge and river, and the out the otherside to the university and its towering admin bldg and clock.

3 Likes

What? Not impressed by the NC Legislative Building? :wink:

1 Like

Happened to be in Austin for a company event this year, it was indeed very impressive inside.

Have to admit it made Raleigh feel kinda quaint!

11 Likes

Indeed, quaint is a good word for it. Simple and republican (as in the theory of) were the goals NC’s capitol, even as it nearly bankrupted the state to build it. There are precious few of the earliest capitols left. I walked through ours, again, a few weeks ago and was struck, as I always am, by its simple beauty. It fits well with the state motto, and the old cliche of NC being a valley of humility between to mountains of conceit. Indeed, the capitol in Austin, taller than the US capitol (?) fits well with the Texa’tude.

11 Likes

new bern had a go at it for awhile

1 Like

I personally LOVE our capitol building. I am happy that they built the legislative building (which I also love), instead of tearing down our old capitol.

9 Likes

@pBeez Neat factoid about the TX Capitol: In your photo, the distance from the first floor/ground floor to the star is 216 feet. The star is 8 feet from point to point. Pretty cool. I lived in Houston for almost 30 years and visited Austin many, many times. The Texas Capitol has always been impressive to me. Stunning architecture, really.

11 Likes

Progress on the dome

22 Likes

Whates with all the turkeys on top. Or is that just a close up view
of the crown that never really noticed before?

1 Like

The second one

15 Likes

Are those copper panels I spot going on the dome in the lower right? Or another kind of under-layer?

9 Likes