State Government

The Winter Sunrises would be challenging for sure, but (IMO) the early Sunrises in the Summer would be worse if we were to go to an all-standard time sort of arrangement. The earliest Sunrises in places like Boston would be nearly 4AM.

3 Likes

Investing in window treatment businesses ASAPā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah it would be like 3pm and starting to look like evening.

I know thereā€™s always gonna be naysayers about it being dark on winter mornings, but winter mornings suck anyways. At least being able to get home from work and walk your dog before itā€™s pitch black would be helpful.

2 Likes

I much prefer the long afternoons than a early sunrise. Late afternoons are much more productive times.

2 Likes

Lived in VT for a year. In winter itā€™s dark when you leave for work in the morning, and dark when you get off in the afternoon.

In the summer sunrise is like at 5:00 am and stay light until 10 or so in the evening. One time I woke up and it was bright as day in the bedroom, freaked out becasue I thought I was late for work, looked at the clock and it was like 5:30am.

2 Likes

I will say that when they experimented with it back in the early 70ā€™s, there were a lot of complaints about kids going to school in the dark. So, the idea was shelved.

Interesting story here from the N&O:

The NC Senateā€™s budget bill includes $11.4 million to study several renovations of state buildings downtown, including the Albemarle, Administration, Bath, Dobbs, and Department of Public Instruction buildings. One part of the study would be to consider consolidating the stateā€™s educational entities into a single location. The Department of Public Instruction and Community College System office are already located in Downtown, but the UNC System office would need to be moved from Chapel Hill.

7 Likes

Theyā€™ll consolidate it all to Rocky Mount if they can get away with it.

6 Likes

Iā€™m being told this house on 421 Wilmington is being demolished. Can anyone confirm?

It was offered for sale, structure only, and I thought I heard the plan was to move it straight back to face Blount Street.

I say move, sell the land to Kane, letā€™s get some juice in that area.

1 Like

Blount St is a perfect place for it.

2 Likes

https://ncadmin.nc.gov/businesses/real-estate/state-property-for-sale

The current bid is $632,500, but that is dated 5/21/21. As of 5/21/21 the properity was in an upset bid process that should have lasted only 10 days, unfortunately there hasnā€™t be an update since. There is also a pdf on the house and the available lot on Blount Street.

1 Like

Just drove by on my way to a movie. The house looked normal but there was some yellow tape and an AC unit on the ground. Maybe itā€™s being prepped for something?

Not surprising. The GOP has wanted to move their ā€œperceived influenceā€ of those Chapel Hill liberals away for years.

As a Carolina grad but Raleighite(& liberal)ā€¦a bit tornā€¦.but should be good for Downtown!

12 Likes

Making the university system leadership distinct from any one university seems like a worthy enough goal, even if itā€™s politically motivated. Making it feel and act more like a wing of the government, versus an outgrowth of UNC-Chapel Hill, makes sense.

Combining UNC system and community college governance seems misguided - they have very different remits and objectives.

7 Likes

The whole ā€˜liberal influenceā€™ is nothing be a red herring. The UNC system has be heralded as one of the top public university systems for yearsā€¦prior to 2010 that is. The NC State & ECU crowd have always hated the fact that the ā€˜systemā€™ was based in Chapel Hill. They finally have the political support to change that.

I honestly donā€™t really care that much personally and it could certainly benefit Downtown Raleigh. I even never really understood why it was based in Chapel Hill in the 1st place (probably politics).

I just know this decision has everything to do with politics rather than necessity.

1 Like

Anything to renovate that outdated state government complex. $100 million can get you a nice mid-rise tower.

3 Likes

Interesting. I think it makes sense for the UNC system to be in Raleigh, closer to those other entities. It should probably also be renamed. Not sure I like the idea of combining with the community college system. As @oakcityyimby says, they have very different purposes.

I definitely like the idea of modernizing the state government complex.

1 Like

If you look at this from a lobbying perspective, this makes sense. Itā€™s best to be close to the rooms where legislation happens.

1 Like