Terrible new anti-bike bill

I’m sure there is. Even if it’s only 1% of the state, that’s still thousands of people.

2 Likes

How about a bill where we pay people to ride bikes & not drive cars? Decreasing the demand on the roads is way more valuable than charging bikes for using the ones that we have.

2 Likes

anti-bike bill??, the things people peddle…

1 Like

This type of scheme has come up in other states before. Oregon tried it and raised $47,000 with it, which is a joke. Essentially the fees the system collects pay the cost of bureaucracy enforcing them.

It’s just a way to incentivize people to not bike, and it’s another poor tax.

It stems from the toxic belief that only car drivers pay for roads–through gas taxes, and therefore only they deserve a safe right of way and infrastructure improvements for their experience. And everyone else… walkers, bikers, transit-users, can get fucked. It’s a common enough anti-urban idea, and it’s flat-out wrong. Most of the tax burden for roads is paid through forms of tax that everyone pays regardless of how they get around.

3 Likes

Let’s expand this to a shoe registration fee while we are at it. $10 per year per pair of shoes you own.

You know, to pay for upkeep of sidewalks and such. Since people that walk don’t pay gas tax either.

11 Likes

And a tax on wheelchairs too. Got to keep those disabled freeloaders from mooching off shoe users’ sidewalks!

4 Likes

What about Hoverboards?

1 Like

Yeah, like paying for schools when you don’t have any kids

I don’t have kids, and I don’t complain about paying for public schools. We all rely on the productivity of the next generation to carry forward.
I do, however, disagree with my tax money being diverted to church run private schools.

10 Likes

The people pushing for this probably feel the same way about public schools…

Seems like we are taking this way too seriously. It has zero chance of going anywhere…

3 Likes

You’re probably right. But we here in NC have seen Bills more asinine then this be proposed and signed into law on short notice. One in particular stands out.

3 Likes

I agree that it will likely not go anywhere, but I don’t like that an elected official is pursuing something like this in the first place.

1 Like

Never underestimate NC’s General Assembly.

2 Likes

Humm, maybe for the sake of downtown we ban all forms of transportation into the city until the govt provides us with mass transportation. We can then turn all the main streets downtown into the old fayetteville mall type like we had before. Then we don’t have to deal with those pesky little crazy car ppl coming around downtown ruining everything. Then since we have no cars we can then turn all the parking garages into giant scooter farms and electric recharge centers for the scooters (no cars allowed, not even electric, sorry).

Finally bikers win and downtown will proper forever. Yay

3 Likes

Works for me. Down with cars up with people!

2 Likes

Mee too, get rid of those police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, vehicles that bring in the food and supplies. I say start a bike brigade that only services downtown. They can use bike trailers to bring in all construction workers and materials for the fancy new towers.

We should start Today!

4 Likes

Instead of police we can just prop up some straw men and tackle other issues no one actually suggested.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Portland, they are trying to give tax breaks to bike commuters:

5 Likes

I walk 2 miles to and from work 5 days a week, I want my tax break man.

1 Like