Terrible new anti-bike bill

You get a tax break in a way by not paying the gas tax.
Should there be a component of registration and vehicle property taxes that are levied based on miles driven instead of the flat fee and value based methods we currently employ and tying highway funding to the current cost of gasoline. Probably but why do what makes the most sense when we can keep doing things we’ve always done.

1 Like

If you want behavior change you have to reward it.

4 Likes

Well if you are going to want the roads widened, new bike lanes, new markings, paint, corrals and whatever else it costs then you have to pay “your fair share” of the cost.

I love bikes and making room for them, it improves the community and it’s healthy.

But just like I have no kids I still have to pay for all these school bonds, new massive one coming soon.

Just suck it up and pay, yay, welocome to New York.

Don’t need the roads widened to accomodate bike infrastructure and the tasks/items that are needed can come from the existing maintenance budget.
Sorry living in a society means having to pay for things that you yourself might not use. I have no kids and happily support education bonds and other initiatives that I don’t see direct benefit from. You’re always welcome to move a shack in the woods, a van down by the river or a libertarian paradise like Somalia

2 Likes

Everyone likes to bitch and moans about paying for bike lanes, but add a few more lanes for automobile traffic it’s just crickets.

2 Likes

Just remove the parking along these roads and add bike lanes. Of course we will probably need more parking decks to accommodate the loss of parking spaces…

2 Likes

This is the answer. While there are some that are wanting to charge bicycles a fee, many, many, many more people are parking their cars for free on tax payer funded roads. While there are some roads downtown that charge a fee to park, there is far more road space being taken by personal vehicles.

6 Likes

I saw a stat that was interesting a few years ago - to build a complete and connected bicycle network in Salt Lake City (220 miles of bicycle facilities), it would cost the same as widening 1.3 miles of freeway.

Page 4 - (http://www.slcdocs.com/transportation/Master/PedestrianAndBicycleMaster/SLC_PBMPExecutiveSummary(Dec2015).pdf)

It’s interesting how public perception distorts reality.

5 Likes

Shut your face! :joy:
It’s a OneWheel. (Less taxes)