The Alexan, 401 West Lane Street

Go Triangle is(?) [ was? ] saving it for the future light rail station that was supposed to go here.

2 Likes

Now THAT would make perfect sense!

1 Like

See my edited comments. Itā€™s probably the regional rail project that started in the 90s and got canceled in 2006 because the Bush administration changed funding rules and torpedoed the project.

The Triangle light rail project was not supported by our former Senator, Elizabeth Dole, Duke Grad & former US Transportation Secretary. She dropped the Triangleā€™s bid and supported CLT, henceā€¦.

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s what I was talking about. I think D2/D3 were the preferred alternatives - station wouldā€™ve been at one of the two sites straddling Harrington.

https://dtraleigh.com/2011/03/light-rail-in-or-over-downtown-raleigh/

A lot of young city dwellers probably like it. I actually MISS not hearing trains out where Iā€™m at now.
I canā€™t be the only weirdo lol

3 Likes

Raleighā€™s own skytrain. Still I think a cut-and-cover underground automated tram system would work the best for Raleigh.

4 Likes

If I understand the ā€œcut-and-coverā€ idea, I think it would be best! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:

I had been wishing for this but the wake transit plan dimmed all hope for this. What w beauty thoughā€¦

1 Like

My dorm room at State my freshman year was only like 50 feet from the tracks, and I was on the ground floor. After a few weeks, we didnā€™t even notice the trains. haha Now, 20+ years later, I kind of miss seeing them from time to time.

5 Likes

I love being able to see or hear the hustle and bustle of movement. Whether itā€™s a road, trains, pedestrians, anything. Makes me feel alive haha

1 Like

download

Itā€™s cheaper and closer to the surface so people have an easier, faster time getting in and out of the tunnel unlike deep bore tunnels which may require long and slow escalators and elevators. You can build a road on top of it no problem.

7 Likes

Itā€™s an apartment building, keep your shirt on

I know that this maybe better suited for a transportation thread but I would love to see a cost analysis of this vs, the flyover vs a true tunnel/subwayā€¦ :drooling_face:

I donā€™t even understand your point. I know itā€™s an apartment buildingā€¦?

No, thatā€™s the light rail idea that briefly popped up in the mid-2000s/2010s. Iā€™m talking about the other commuter/regional rail project that happened (and failed) before that.

I think heā€™s just annoyed by how you typed out your frustration for this building not being mixed-use -probably because the developerā€™s presenting the building as ā€œjustā€ apartments, and he thinks itā€™s unreasonable to ask them to do more? (Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, @Spero)

1 Like

Lol I just thought the all-caps was too vigorous. Retail would be great but, like, cā€™mon. Letā€™s all chill out

1 Like

Wow, Iā€™ve never seen this before. Imagine how different this region would be if this had been built.

6 Likes

TBJ article says:

Filings with the city say the property will include 134 one-bedroom units and 53 two-bedroom units. There is currently no retail space planned in the building, though Brooks said there is the possibility that theyā€™ll end up adding some on the ground floor fronting either Lane or Harrington street.

4 Likes

Well frankly, Iā€™m annoyed by the continuous half-assedness/under-use of these mega-block apartments. So sorry @Spero but go ahead and be annoyed by me being annoyed LMAO. You can take my CAPS LOCK very lightly. Itā€™s mostly meant in jest.

6 Likes